Need trapping opinions

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve done a little trapping in the past , mostly raccoons and am really wanting to try my luck at coyote just on my hunting lease and some private family property , so I decided to get online and order my supplies from southern snares , someone on here mentioned it , so anyway I think I have the traps I need just from what most of y’all use , what stakes do u guys use , it’s kind of overwhelming when looking at there website with the different kinds , I’ve got an order ready to check out with some baits and urine and lure that I’ve heard u guys mention , and traps and a few other things I didn’t already have , the stakes is my main concern , if it matters it’s pretty hard ground where I’m at with mostly clay , thanks in advance

furtaker

I double stake with rebar and use Chestnut double stake rings. All my rigs are set up this way. I also really like using drags if there is plenty of brush close by. I've tried earth anchors and never cared for them too much. Yes, they are lighter but they're also expensive and a pain to pull. I might would mix it up and use some cable stakes if I was running hundreds of traps. Rebar lasts forever.

antharper

Staff member
I use the wolf fang cable stakes. In hard ground 12" will be plenty long enough. You will need a driver too.
Thanks Doug , that’s one of the types they sold and what u use seems to be working well , thanks, hope I can share some pictures soon

antharper

Staff member
I double stake with rebar and use Chestnut double stake rings. All my rigs are set up this way. I also really like using drags if there is plenty of brush close by. I've tried earth anchors and never cared for them too much. Yes, they are lighter but they're also expensive and a pain to pull. I might would mix it up and use some cable stakes if I was running hundreds of traps. Rebar lasts forever.
I’ve considered the rebar because I already have some and a welder, how do u attach the double stake rings to your chain , and thanks , and I could use a drag as I want be running but about 12 traps to start with

mossyoakpro

I'm a cabled super stake fan myself...I tried the wolf fangs and never really liked them for some reason. If you plan on pulling them each time you'll need a puller of some type to remove them. If that's the case the chained super stakes are the way to go...much easier to remove than the cabled ones and will last a long time. My $.02

furtaker

I’ve considered the rebar because I already have some and a welder, how do u attach the double stake rings to your chain , and thanks , and I could use a drag as I want be running but about 12 traps to start with
Attach with a j-hook. Or you can use quick links or split rings. If you make them yourself cut the bottom at an angle so they will drive easier and weld a nut on the top. Or you can order them from MTP or FnT. 18 inches double staked is usually plenty. I also use shock springs on all my traps to help prevent stake pumping and to make it a little easier on the animal. They are not necessary but I like them.

If you use drags use 8-10 ft of chain and make sure there is plenty of brush close by to hang him up or you will be hunting an animal.

oldguy

I'm old school and never changed from rebar stakes. What difference does lighter make if you're trapping out of your truck? You pull up to a spot, hop out, tote your stuff 3,4,5 yds. make a set and drive on. And like Antharper said rebar last forever. Just make sure to use double stake swivels, good crunch proof swivels to attach chain to double stake rig. Don't take short cuts. Don't try to go cheap. A coyote can destroy an anvil! I use a mattock to pull up the stakes. Get flat part of mattock under the top of your stake (heavy nut or washer) and use the mattock to lever the stake out. Easy as pie. Depending on soil type you may just be able to pull the other stake by hand otherwise use the mattock. Mattock heap handy tool on trap line

antharper

Staff member
Thanks everyone for your help, I think I’ll try the wolf fang anchors first and maybe some on a drag , any specific way y’all attach your traps to a drag , I seen my dad use drags years ago and I think he just wired them to it but we didn’t have many coyotes , he was mostly after fox

oldguy

If you don't use commercial steel drags I've used old implement parts, anything iron or steel 3,4,5 lbs. Connect to trap using chain or cable extensions. That part about a coyote destroying an anvil is no joke. Your whole set up is no stronger than the weakest link. Wire would be the weak link. You might get away with but why take the chance on loosing a coyote and a trap? If I'm messing with coyotes I like stakes not drags. Plus you pull up he's sitting right there waiting on you!

Doug B.

I've tried earth anchors and never cared for them too much. Yes, they are lighter but they're also expensive and a pain to pull. I might would mix it up and use some cable stakes if I was running hundreds of traps. Rebar lasts forever.
I'm a cabled super stake fan myself...I tried the wolf fangs and never really liked them for some reason. If you plan on pulling them each time you'll need a puller of some type to remove them. If that's the case the chained super stakes are the way to go...much easier to remove than the cabled ones and will last a long time. My $.02
I use a 2" auger bit and a drill and drill down beside the cable and it pulls out easy by hand.
He would use an old log or a big limb laying close by.
Can't get any easier than that!

I'm old school and never changed from rebar stakes. What difference does lighter make if you're trapping out of your truck? You pull up to a spot, hop out, tote your stuff 3,4,5 yds. make a set and drive on. And like Antharper said rebar last forever. Just make sure to use double stake swivels, good crunch proof swivels to attach chain to double stake rig. Don't take short cuts. Don't try to go cheap. A coyote can destroy an anvil! I use a mattock to pull up the stakes. Get flat part of mattock under the top of your stake (heavy nut or washer) and use the mattock to lever the stake out. Easy as pie. Depending on soil type you may just be able to pull the other stake by hand otherwise use the mattock. Mattock heap handy tool on trap line
Sounds like words of wisdom from somebody that knows what's going on!

Last edited:

furtaker

The thing I like about drags is that there is no catch circle after you make a catch, so you can set the trap right back where it was. A lot of coyotes will shy away from a catch circle. Plus there are no stakes to pound or pull. Easy as pie. I have a few Sabertooths and a few Minnesota Brand drags.

furtaker

I've never understood the weight thing either. Most all of my sets are right on or right close to a road or trail so weight of rebar is a moot point. Good idea on the mattock. I just use a pair of channel lock pliers to pull mine. A little twisting and pulling and they usually come out easy enough.

Doug B.

I've never understood the weight thing either. Most all of my sets are right on or right close to a road or trail so weight of rebar is a moot point. Good idea on the mattock. I just use a pair of channel lock pliers to pull mine. A little twisting and pulling and they usually come out easy enough.
I am old hard headed and sometimes walk a quarter to a half a mile to set traps. I am getting a little smarter though because I did pull all those traps this morning. Going to start doing it the easy way for a while.