Neighbors complaint

JRCUEVAS

How far do you have to be from a house? I have a field I'm dove hunting and my neighbor is a rude person and complains about shoot and pellets landing on him. It's 80 acres and out of the city limits. I'm scared he will call DNR and they'll cut my hunt short

Last edited by a moderator:

JRCUEVAS

On his house.
Like if one of my friends are hunting across the field(100+yards away) and shoots at a dove in the sky that's way higher than 45degrees the pellets land anywhere and he says some do land on his drive way and house. @GeorgiaGlockMan

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
When I lived out rural I had this rude neighbor. He hosted a dove hunt once a year in a pasture right next door. Shooting spots were put close to the fence so I was guaranteed to listen to plenty of gun fire in my home until they finished. I could hear pellets raining down on the metal chimney cap all day. Often I’d find lost doves on my property when I went to mow afterwards.

Signed

Guy on the other side of the fence.

PS: Though I never complained once I was never invited to the shoot.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If I were your neighbor you would have no problem with spent shot dropping on my house. If your neighbor wishes to raise a fuss he will probably be able to stop your shoot. I don't think there is any minimum distance but, in theory, your shot do not belong on his house and you have no right to force him to endure it, minor though it may be. It is a civil matter but if reported to the County as a nuisance, eventually something will probably be done.

Listen to the @Ruger3. Invite the fellow to the shoot; and if he don't shoot, invite him to the BBQ; and if he don't eat BBQ, offer to compensate him for the minor inconvenience in some other way. Any of those would be less costly for you than moving the field.

specialk

If I were your neighbor you would have no problem with spent shot dropping on my house. If your neighbor wishes to raise a fuss he will probably be able to stop your shoot. I don't think there is any minimum distance but, in theory, your shot do not belong on his house and you have no right to force him to endure it, minor though it may be. It is a civil matter but if reported to the County as a nuisance, eventually something will probably be done.

Listen to the @Ruger3. Invite the fellow to the shoot; and if he don't shoot, invite him to the BBQ; and if he don't eat BBQ, offer to compensate him for the minor inconvenience in some other way. Any of those would be less costly for you than moving the field.

good advice, or back yourself up to his property line and shoot the other way...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I like that one too as a last resort.

Turkeytider

Great advice. I`m betting you can solve this problem.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I have this exact same problem. My neighbor is awful transplant from commiefornia. I can't count the bad interactions I've had with him. Where we stand right now his fence is 4 feet on my property and I just invited him and his kids to my dove hunt this year just so he wouldn't complain about pellets. Because I know he will. He declined. I feel I still have the upper hand

Sargent

• Line up shooters away from his house (as much as possible)
  • Tell him about it. Offer to do something for him (gift card for dinner at his favorite restaurant) for his inconvenience.
  • Go ahead and call DNR and have them come out to look at your layout. Get (and take) their advice.

ryanh487

Line all shooters up with their backs to the neighbor or perpendicular to the property line and put up a PVC pole with flagging as a "no shoot" zone, and only birds ahead of shooters allowed to be shot. Remove shooters that do not follow the rules.

coveyrise

Dove loads hit my house ever dove season. A lot of those shot are mine too. Never has it hurt a thing around here. I don`t pay it no mind.
What if a child is standing in a yard looking up towards the sky? I was always taught that shooting anywhere towards a house was not tolerated. Shooting towards a person will get your butt kicked.

Reactions: Rob