Never thought it would be this hard

hiawassee1

I do love animals, but we were and are very busy people with our 2 boys, so I felt the dog wouldn't get the attention it needed. I'm not the kind of person to chain a dog up in the yard just to say we have 1.
Well about 2.5 yrs ago they convinced me to get our first family dog. We were able to rescue a 5 month old yellow Lab from a teenager that thought she just had to have 1 of her friends puppies, that was in April 2015. After several months we were able to get him turned around, and he became a good dog. Over the next year he turned into a great family member. He adorded my kids and had to be wherever they were, fishing, swimming at the lake, and wherever we were at night in the house.
Short Version
A couple weeks ago, got what we thought was a leg injury in his joint. Dr put him on steroids, I am on duty at night so this morning I'm awaken by him breathing very heavy, felt something was wrong, so back to the vet. Tucker was diagnosed with blastomycosis, a fungal infection in his lungs, no real cure, just a very expensive treatment, with very low percentage of long term success. Out of know where, my short day made a wrong turn. I had to put my side kick down today only after 2 years, of course he turned into my dog, but the best family dog one could ever want. He had the greatest personality. I already having a hard time imagining pulling in my driveway and him not sitting on the porch waiting for me, or when I stop by at night to eat with the family and he meets me at the window, and he's waiting for me in his crate at 6 in the morning.
But I never thought it would turn out to be this hard to put a dog down. I'm hoping my wife doesn't go into depression, she is having an even harder time with it. It's amazing how much they become involved in your lives. Thanks for letting me vent, not sure I want to try and replace him.

Cmp1

BANNED
Wow,,,, I also am sorry for your loss,,,, has got to be a rough thing to do,,,, we have multiple dogs, and they sure do become a part of the family,,,, I know you'll never forget him,,,, but I would definitely try to rescue another best friend,,,,

hard to loose a good one. sorry for your loss

Robert28

I'm sorry for your loss but I understand what you're going through. Had to put my English bulldog down last month and it's been eating me up inside. It's all I think about everyday. Next week will be a month and today is just as hard as the day he died.

Big7

The Oracle
That sucks.

My English Setter was 16 when I had him put down.

At that time, I had him a third of my life.

I know how you feel.. Believe me.
It will get better with time.

Twiggbuster

Had to make the hard decision and follow thru on 4/29.
Almost month and a half and still raw emotionally from losing my pet beagle of 16 yrs.
They are part of the family.
You and your wife hang in there, time heals.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Yessir, that's tough.

Time is a healer, but that's easier said than done, I know the feeling.

Sorry for your loss.

Cherish those memories.

hiawassee1

Yeah it's the little things really getting to me, if you were getting ice, no matter where he was in the house the second he heard the ice maker he was on his way. Kids getting ready for bed he would sit at the top of the stairs just watching them, waiting to see if he could come down.
I appreciate everyone's comments.

Redbow

My sincere condolences to you and your family..Nothing hurts worse than losing a 4 legged friend.. I have been there many times over the years, it never gets easier to have one put down..I always go and get another Dog right away I can't seem to be without one but the new Dog will never take the place of the one who has passed...

smokey30725

No shame in grieving that loss, brother. Anyone who loves dogs will completely understand. Those who don't, well, they just don't understand the unwavering love and loyalty that a good dog brings to a family. I've cried more over some of the dogs I've lost than I have over most people. You're among friends here, and time definitely does heal.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Never Thought

I too have had an experience which closely mirrowed your own. My Duke, a Yellow Lab, was seven years old and seemingly in good health. Suddenly he began to wheeze and struggled for breath. Took him to my local Vet and he was diagnosed as having Blastomycosis. He advised us that this is a very dangerous disease and very costly to treat, with likelihood of success being not great. He further advised that the best chance for survival rested with taking him to the Univ. of GA Vet. School where he can be treated as an in-patient. We hurriedly made arrangements to take him to Athens where we left him. It was a long, lonesome trip back to Ellijay without him

We received a call next day informing us that it was urgent that he have one eye removed, otherwise he could likely loose his sight totally. He also recommended that Duke be divested of his manhood as a matter which could make his survival more likely. We reluctantly agreed to both recommendations. At this moment, as I type, Duke is sleeping at my feet (snoring as usual).

Hiawassee 1: I apologize for infringing upon your Post. I did so thinking that others might benefit from knowing a little more about the disease which overtook your Family Friend and mine.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No shame in grieving that loss, brother. Anyone who loves dogs will completely understand. Those who don't, well, they just don't understand the unwavering love and loyalty that a good dog brings to a family. I've cried more over some of the dogs I've lost than I have over most people. You're among friends here, and time definitely does heal.

Well said , and sorry for your family's loss !

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Other than losing a loved one, grandparent, parent, child, sibling or spouse, there is no more heartbreaking of a loss than losing a family dog. They break your heart with their short lives. A man observed that he wished his dogs would live a 100 years and his expensive shotguns last only 10 years and not the other way around. Those of us who treat our dogs as more than livestock understand what you are going through. Gil