New AR-15 Build...

Tight Lines

So rebuilding my son's AR-15 lit a fire under me to build one from some parts I have...this is going to be primarily a precision range gun, not a close quarters or home defense weapon...

So far, some parts I have:

- BT Industries Accu-shot Monopod and Atlas Bipod
- Cryptic Coatings Ti DLC coated BCG
- Vortex FFP Tactical optic
- Sharps Bros Forged Lower
- V Seven Forged Upper
- SS adjustable gas block from Superlative Arms

I am planning to get:

- V Seven hand guard, buffer tube, maybe a few other items
- Thinking Magpul PRS and Grip in FDE
- JP Enterprises Captured Buffer Spring
- Radian Weapons Ambi charging handle
- Bartlein 18" SS barrel from Compass Lake, fluted, bead blasted, Wylde chamber

Undecided:

- Trigger group - like Elftmann single stage but looking at others...
- Scope Mount - thinking of the Warne tactical for the scope and a holographic off to the side but not sure...
- Muzzle Device - thinking Precision Armament but not sure...can't decide what I want, but needs to be SS or Ti to match the barrel

Likely having it cerakoted in a TCU, Kuiu Vias or another desert Camo pattern with mostly FDE components mixed in with some SS, Ti, and black...

Plan to bench shoot and also some pig/yote action...

I know I would likely get more comments on the AR-15 forums, but thought I'd see what you guys thought on here...fire away, no wrong answers!

I'll post build pictures to this thread as I get components and get going...

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

I'll be following along!

transfixer

I haven't delved into the precision AR world as of yet, all of mine are general use/hunting builds,

I agree with the adjustable gas block, I see those as a necessity,

You will love the JP industries silent capture spring, I have one, it makes for a much smoother shooting rifle,

I also have a Radian arms charging handle, good stuff.

I tend to like two stage triggers over single stage, they work better for me from a accuracy standpoint, preparing the shot by taking up the first stage, and then just a hair more for final break works better for me when shooting for groups especially

There are so many options on handguards, barrels, muzzle brakes, grips and stocks, it would be hard for me to decide for a build like that. Chances are whatever you choose as far as stocks and grips you'll likely change after shooting it a while, probably the same with muzzle brakes,

Tight Lines

Ok. So most items have been identified and ordered...I figure I am still 4 months away from final assembly due to some lead times...but I will start taking pictures of the items that are in, and update progress along the way! I ordered the rest of the parts today, with a few exceptions...I can't wait to get this bad boy together!

Tight Lines

Dumb question but why an 18 inch barrel and not a longer one for long range?

Not a dumb question at all...

I should probably qualify long range...this is going to be good out to maybe 600 yards and more of a precision range rifle, and I still wanted a rifle I could use tactically and on varmints...so the 18" is a nice compromise for that. I have a 16" AR, and a 16" bullpup, both with red dots or holographic sites so I'm set for home defense and close quarters...

Right now I don't have any dedicated long range bench rifles sans one .308 with a bull barrel...but after this build I am likely going to build a 1000-yard weapon though in Norma .300 Magnum or .30 Nosler...or .338 Lapua...that is a long range weapon...

lampern

Gotcha

Is there a reason for a stainless steel barrel as well?

I see they are popular with target AR-15s compared with the black military? barrels

More accurate?

transfixer

Stainless barrels are more accurate, but don't last as long as other barrels such as those out of Chrome moly or chrome lined barrels, Chrome lined barrels are supposed to last the longest, but because the process of chrome lining isn't as precise, they aren't known for accuracy

Tight Lines

Stainless barrels are more accurate, but don't last as long as other barrels such as those out of Chrome moly or chrome lined barrels, Chrome lined barrels are supposed to last the longest, but because the process of chrome lining isn't as precise, they aren't known for accuracy

Spot on...stainless is more accurate, especially the Bartlein from Compass Lake...not going to be shot tens of thousands of rounds nor mag dumping so went with stainless...

Tight Lines

Dumb question but why an 18 inch barrel and not a longer one for long range?

Also as an example...I am going with a Magpul PRS stock...not an adjustable combat stock per se, more of a sniper or precision rifle stock...adjustable but heavy...I am looking to build a good bench and varmint rifle, but not a dedicated long range weapon...would not choose the 5.56 for that anyway...with that said, this should be 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and with the 1-10 Vortex optic be good for me anyway out to 500-600 yards...after that, need more round, and more optic...

bullgator

Have you considered the new 6mm ARC?

bullgator

It’s a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm. Fits Grendel magazines. It has a 24” barrel MV of 2750-2800 and stays supersonic to 1100 yards. Of course it would be less than that from an 18” gun. Hornady make ammo and components, and there are barrels available already.
I have a lower I was waiting to find an upper for similar reasons as your, an accurate longer range semi.

Tight Lines

It’s a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm. Fits Grendel magazines. It has a 24” barrel MV of 2750-2800 and stays supersonic to 1100 yards. Of course it would be less than that from an 18” gun. Hornady make ammo and components, and there are barrels available already.
I have a lower I was waiting to find an upper for similar reasons as your, an accurate longer range semi.

Seems interesting...advantage is longer range, higher energy? Benefit over a 6.5 CM?

bullgator

Seems interesting...advantage is longer range, higher energy? Benefit over a 6.5 CM?
Benefit being it will still fit in an AR-15 platform instead of the AR10 required for the Creedmoor. COAL for the ARC is still the same 2.260” as the 5.56.
Barrett is building rifles for the DoD in it.

bullgator

I believe it would be between it and the .224 Valkyrie for the longer range champs in an AR15. The ARC would probably win the energy with its 103-108 grain bullets.

Tight Lines

Ok, so here is the upper, lower, handguard, BCG, and the stock and grip...

- Sharps Forged & Machined Lower
- V Seven Forged & Machined Upper & Ultralight Handguard w/ Ti Barrel Nut
- Cryptic Coatings Ti BCG w/ DLC Coating
- Magpul PRS Stock & Grip

IMG_0697.JPGIMG_0698.JPGIMG_0699.JPGIMG_0701.JPG

Tight Lines

Waiting on one component to go to the the Cerakote process...and several other items are in transit or backordered...