New barrel swap and finish options

bighonkinjeep

I wouldnt overthink and worry about the barrel gap too much either. Free floated is free floated. Takeoff Savage parts for the older stagger feeds are getting harder to find but are higly modular and interchangable between the different models from that era. Lots of good info on DIY and tinkering with Savage rifles over on the "Savage shooters forum"

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I wouldnt overthink and worry about the barrel gap too much either. Free floated is free floated. Takeoff Savage parts for the older stagger feeds are getting harder to find but are higly modular and interchangable between the different models from that era. Lots of good info on DIY and tinkering with Savage rifles over on the "Savage shooters forum"

Thanks! I found a basic synthetic stock for a sporter barrel on ebay for $40, I just have to convert it from right to left bolt.

Elkbane

I've had really good luck painting stocks with Aluma-Hyde II from Brownell's. It sticks pretty well to metal too if you are diligent about degreasing and study the application guidelines about using mist-coats. You can get camo stencils from several sources to meet your needs.

On the stock,if you are going to paint it, you need to be diligent about sanding off all the seam flashing marks and lightly sanding the flat surfaces with 600 grit ti give the paint something to "bite" onto. I did a Browning x-bolt for my son in law, OD Green and black spidercoat over it that turned out great. Did one for a friend in Magpul FDE with black spidercoat that was pretty handsome too.

If it's a SS barrel, I think I'd just have it bead blasted and duracoat the action flat black. The Aluma-Hdye II is good, but probably not as solvent resistant as a baked on duracoat or ceramic coat finish.

Another thing to think about - if you are going yo paint the stock, you can use epoxy to build a flat surface on the fore-end do it doesn't "roll" so bad in the shooting bags. Lots of options if you're going to customize it to your needs.

ELkbane

jglenn

Cerakote for the metal and duracoat for the stock. Best finishes we've found for DIY

IMG_3405.jpg