New bow, fun

splatek

UAEC
At the suggestion of @strothershwacker I ordered a Samick Sage recurve this week. I got 50# draw weight, because it was about $15 less expensive than #45... I also ordered a few traditional wooden arrows with field points on them. After about 8 miles of hiking with my pup, I returned home to found they'd both been delivered. First off, this is a nice, smooth bow. Second, 50# on a trad bow - whoa! I'm trying to work out the shot in my head, prior to pulling back so that I am not caught holding for too long. I realize these are new muscles I am using and it will take me a bit to get them stronger and conditioned so I don't want to be at full draw, wobbling, shaking, and end up making a horrible or dangerous (backyard) shot. I don't have a finger tab, so I've been using a glove that I found around the garage; but, that was only after I've taken a bunch of shots bare fingered. They got sore real fast!

At first my shots were a little all over the place - about 6-9inch "groups", if you could call them groups. But on my last set I decided to really just focus on the target and take my time and ended up with this (@20yds)

IMG_0654.JPG

I took the advice of some great athletic coaches and stopped on a positive note for the day. I will pick it back up tomorrow, and the next day, and the next... I have a feeling this is the sort of thing that takes a TON of practice and even then might still not be enough.

We shall see where this will take me...

Dennis

Let the journey begin and remember you can shoot too much. Give your muscles a break like lifting weights. If your tired and struggling you will just be practicing bad habits. But remember just go have fun!!!!

strothershwacker

It's very addictive. I've shot a compound for 26 years but wish I woulda started off with a trad bow. Figure out what works for you and hone yer own skills. I shoot three under and made my own tab. Shootn got better. Keep us posted on your progress!

splatek

UAEC
The thing I really like about the traditional way is that it's minimalistic, sort of.
My fly fishing buddies make fun of me, because I use a cheapo rod, a handful of flies, and rarely bring more than a pack the size of two wallets strung together. I like gear, and I LOVE technology, but then I don't. If that makes sense. I like to be able to get the same/similar thing from something I've made or from a rig that's more simple. I realize there are going to be game, times, etc that you have to bring out the big guns (pun totally intended), but until then I am going to keep practicing with this.

@strothershwacker do you have a "recipe" for a tab? I've just been using a regular old garage work glove when my fingers get sore. I wanted to try and train my fingers to deal with it over time so I didn't have to rely on a tab or glove, but I found my shooting was way better: more accurate and getting to full draw more consistently.

Thanks again guys for the advice! I'll keep things updated and hopefully with access to some new land, I might be able to take a harvest in the fall with this thing.

PS: what are folks using as string silencers? I've seen guys with those feathery looking things on the strings... I guess a google search is in order.

strothershwacker

The tan leather is from the back of a work glove. The dark harder smoother peice was added later (from an old wallet). Seems like the string comes off a lil' cleaner. (Easier on fingers too). I've trimmed it 2 or 3 times to get it just the way I like it. You can use the brass from a 12 gauge as a hole punch then stretch it to yer likin. I just used super glue to bond the 2 leathers. This was just how I done it. There again tweek yer own for what works best for you. I'm sure there's some good ones on the market, but I wouldn't trade mine for all of em.?20190210_093056.jpg20190210_092753.jpg20190210_092809.jpg20190210_092948.jpg

splatek

UAEC
Good stuff man!
Appreciate the ideas.
This miserable rainy Sunday might find me in the garage creatin!

The tan leather is from the back of a work glove. The dark harder smoother peice was added later (from an old wallet). Seems like the string comes off a lil' cleaner. (Easier on fingers too). I've trimmed it 2 or 3 times to get it just the way I like it. You can use the brass from a 12 gauge as a hole punch then stretch it to yer likin. I just used super glue to bond the 2 leathers. This was just how I done it. There again tweek yer own for what works best for you. I'm sure there's some good ones on the market, but I wouldn't trade mine for all of em.?View attachment 958604View attachment 958605View attachment 958606View attachment 958607

Todd Cook

The thing I really like about the traditional way is that it's minimalistic, sort of.
My fly fishing buddies make fun of me, because I use a cheapo rod, a handful of flies, and rarely bring more than a pack the size of two wallets strung together. I like gear, and I LOVE technology, but then I don't. If that makes sense. I like to be able to get the same/similar thing from something I've made or from a rig that's more simple. I realize there are going to be game, times, etc that you have to bring out the big guns (pun totally intended), but until then I am going to keep practicing with this.

@strothershwacker do you have a "recipe" for a tab? I've just been using a regular old garage work glove when my fingers get sore. I wanted to try and train my fingers to deal with it over time so I didn't have to rely on a tab or glove, but I found my shooting was way better: more accurate and getting to full draw more consistently.

Thanks again guys for the advice! I'll keep things updated and hopefully with access to some new land, I might be able to take a harvest in the fall with this thing.

PS: what are folks using as string silencers? I've seen guys with those feathery looking things on the strings... I guess a google search is in order.

I know exactly what you mean. I make the majority of my hunting gear; have for years. The older I get, the more I realize "things" don't mean as much to me as they used to. As to the finger tab, this is how I make mine. Scrap leather and a piece of velcro. Lasts for ever

Attachments

• 20190222_134729.jpg
    20190222_134729.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5

Hillbilly stalker

Until you get your fingers toughened up some, a " Black Widow" tab offers the most comfort. They have a calf hair underside wich provides a silky smooth release. It allows you to shoot Apache grip or 3 under. If your fingers are stinging, you have trouble giving 100% concentration on the smallest part of the target or dot. I love DIY gear more than most, but in the beginning...your fingers will thank you. And by the way, that's good shooting !