New Browning BAR?

ssramage

Anybody familiar with the new BARs? I've recently got the itch to get one. My dad/granddad always hunted with the Rem 742s and I fell in love with a semi-auto wood gun, but have never owned one. Thinking about something a little more modern and have liked the newer A5s that I've owned.

nmurph

It's a personal opinion, but I strongly prefer a bolt action for deer hunting. They are lighter, more reliable, and more accurate. I know there are autos that are deer-accurate. It that's all you want and expect, then go for it.

ssramage

It's a personal opinion, but I strongly prefer a bolt action for deer hunting. They are lighter, more reliable, and more accurate. I know there are autos that are deer-accurate. It that's all you want and expect, then go for it.

I've used a bolt gun or single shot almost exclusively for my entire hunting career. This is just one of those "wants" based on nostalgia. At the end of it all, I may just grab my grandpa's old gun, update the glass and hunt with it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My BAR has bolt action accuracy!
When I encounter hogs the auto load action plays well. I have shot deer beyond 300 yds regularly.
It’s a little heavy but u get use to it.
I have the 270. To me it’s my perfect deer rifle.
Good luck with one.

specialk

dads got an '06 about 15 y.o.....killed many many deers out to 250yds on gasline .....

GregoryB.

The BAR is a fine rifle. Keep it somewhat clean and oiled and it will serve you without issue. I have my Uncles from the 70's. He sprayed it down with WD 40 a couple of times a year and never had a issue. I got it in 2012 and cleaned it and it still functions effortlessly. 1 1/2 groups

HughW2

The BAR is my favorite semi hunting rifle. I agree with all the comments above; mine is a 80s era production .308 and it shoots almost as well as any bolt actions that cost twice as much. I can consistently get 1” to 1 1/2” groups using Federal Premiums with Sierra Gamekings either with 150 grain or 165 grain and the great thing is both loads shoot into the same point of impact. Every deer I have shot has gone a maximum of about 10 yards if not DRT. I can not ask for more. I love the looks of the old humpback too, but that is just me. Unfortunately my son got his first buck with it and assumes that his rifle and whenever we go hunting he gets first dibs. I get relegated to a bolt action. ?

ThatredneckguyJamie

New BAR? you mean the same old trusted belguim made but assembled in portugal semi auto that shoots as good as many bolts actions and thats been around for decades, or the ugly plastic overpriced shorttrac or longtrac made Japan made junk?

Mauser

Between me an my dad we've got several but they are all made in the 70's. Two 7mm rem mags,270,308,and 300 win mag. They all shoot and function flawlessly, all shoot about an 1" to 1.5" I would look for an older one vs a new one. I have a friend that has a new mark III,he says wont shoot under 6 inches. I have not shot it so I cant verify

lonewolf247

I've been a member in a hunting club, that primarily hunts with deer dogs, for over 40 years. The Browning Bar has been well represented to say the least. I have been around them for a long time, and seen first hand, all of the different variations and models offered in the Bar.

I've owned 2 Bars myself. The first one, an older Bar, was not very accurate, maybe a 2" group shooting Bar. My current one, a lightweight stalker, with shoot a 1" group, with non-premium ammo.

My observations: The older Bars, were hit and miss on accuracy. I've seen some very accurate, to some not so accurate. IMO the Lightweight Stalker, and the Safari Bar MKII in wood, were the most consistent on accuracy. Most I've seen, can consistently shoot 1"-1 1/4" groups, with the right person, behind the gun.

The newer ones, the Lontrac/Shorttrac, and the Bar MKIII models, seem to not be as accurate in general, and some that shoot down right poor.

Anyhow, I like the Safari and the lightweight Stalkers.

HughW2

Are the current production BARs no longer made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal? I don’t know saw a few of these posts and needed to ask the question. Why the drop in quality / accuracy?

280 Man

Banned
Between me an my dad we've got several but they are all made in the 70's. Two 7mm rem mags,270,308,and 300 win mag. They all shoot and function flawlessly, all shoot about an 1" to 1.5" I would look for an older one vs a new one. I have a friend that has a new mark III,he says wont shoot under 6 inches. I have not shot it so I cant verify

I can throw pieces of lead more accurate than that! LOL If it won't shoot better than 6 inches he either needs to find/try more ammo and find what that rifle likes, reload for it or return it to Browning!

Mauser

I can throw pieces of lead more accurate than that! LOL If it won't shoot better than 6 inches he either needs to find/try more ammo and find what that rifle likes, reload for it or return it to Browning!
O I agree,last time I talked to him he was taking it back to the dealer he bought it from and he was going to send it back to browning for him.

HughW2

Browning is still making the Mark II Safari, I am betting the issues might be with the Mark III. I don’t like the looks of the Mark III. I will stick with the classic looks.