New Campground Qn

Dreamer69

I am going to look at a new place this weekend called North Shore Campground on Lake Oconee. It used to be the old KOA campground. We bought a new camper and got a 21 day free night stay at this place. I have all ready reserved for Watsadler, Big Hart, and Petersburg. Looking forward to Petersburg for sure. Have not camped there in a long time. Any advice on this new campground at Lake Oconee?

TimBray

It used to be Carey Station Resort and was private (Coast-to-Coast affiliate). I haven't been there since the mid-90s so I can't say how it is now so no need to tell you how nice it was back then. :censored:

Artfuldodger

It's still a member only resort. Kind of like a time share idea for camping. I would research "Travel Resorts of America Property" before going. Just don't let them pressure you into joining until you are sure that is what you want to do. I'm not sure how pushy they are in that it would spoil your camping trip.

Artfuldodger

If it's Big Hart, and Petersburg on Clark Hill Lake, they are nice. I've always wanted to try Hard Labor Creek closer to Atlanta than Augusta. I hope you enjoy your new rig and get to use it a lot.

Dreamer69

Artfuldodger, thank you for the info. We went there and were not impressed with the camp ground at all. It has been run in the ground and seems like they were trying to slowly rebuild it. It may be a nice place one day but for now and the membership its not worth my time. They did not pressure us or anything and for someone who was retired and camps all the time it would be a perfect set up. I have been to Petersburg several times and love it. Never have tried Big Hart. I do not live far from Hard Labor Creek and it is a nice place also.

Artfuldodger

Artfuldodger, thank you for the info. We went there and were not impressed with the camp ground at all. It has been run in the ground and seems like they were trying to slowly rebuild it. It may be a nice place one day but for now and the membership its not worth my time. They did not pressure us or anything and for someone who was retired and camps all the time it would be a perfect set up. I have been to Petersburg several times and love it. Never have tried Big Hart. I do not live far from Hard Labor Creek and it is a nice place also.

I thought Petersburg was a little nicer than Big Hart. Another Army Corp campground we liked on Clarks Hill is Winfield. It's off the Thompson exit of I-20.
What about Victoria Bryant State Park above and east of Athens? I haven't camped there either but friends liked it.

lancek742

I like Big Hart much better than Petersburg. Smaller and a little more out of the way. I live closer to Petersburg but drive the extra to go to Big Hart. Been using Big hart for 15 years now.

Artfuldodger

I have a niece that lives in Athens. They used to go to Big Hart as they live on the east side of Athens off hwy 78. Big Hart being on 78 was their choice. They now go to a campground on Lake Hartwell they like that is even closer. I'm not sure what it is.

Petersburg is more crowded being so close to the ****, day parks, and Pollards Corner traffic.