New Cutting Board Finish

gunnurse

I got tired of buying butcher block conditioner at $12 a bottle. I hit up Youtube, and found a recipe for DIY. 4 parts mineral oil, 1 part beeswax. Heat them up until the beeswax melts, and pour it in a jar. Total cost- $2.75. This is a cherry charcuterie board that I made at one time.

Attachments

• 389DA46B-B7F4-47E8-A143-0E59A1EB391E.jpeg
    389DA46B-B7F4-47E8-A143-0E59A1EB391E.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 10E9EE15-C869-42FF-9251-36FE19F5DF25.jpeg
    10E9EE15-C869-42FF-9251-36FE19F5DF25.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 77

earlthegoat2

The rumor is that any wood finish is OK for cutting boards (or salad bowls) as long as it is fully cured.

fishman1957

Any food grade mineral oil works fine , when I started cutting meat in the 70's we still used wood cutting blocks all we used was mineral oil and knives stayed sharp alot longer then today with the plastic types.

gunnurse

I only use food grade finishes on my boards.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is a pretty piece of cherry.

PCNative

I use the exact recipe on my cutting boards however I've found it doesn't penetrate as well as it needs to for a long lasting finish. I started soaking my boards by submerging them in mineral oil in a plastic container for several hours then wiping them down and applying the beeswax mixture the next day.

gunnurse

Exactly PC Native. This is only my finish. I too use the mineral oil as the primary soak. I used to get strange looks leaving the pharmacy with so many bottles of “laxative.”

GeorgeShu

Love cherry for many uses. Great wood to work. Nice quarter saw grain near the edges. Darkens naturally with age. Your finish leaves a nice matte appearance. Great job.

Big7

The Oracle
wal- marks sells a bees wax and palm oil (think) for griddle tops. It's 10$ for a tiny jar.

You might be able to sell that for something.