New Fan of the 7mm-08

snooker1

Shot a 7mm-08 yesterday for the first time, (Weatherby). Not my gun, my son got it for his wife and after I mounted the scope I thought I should sight it in. very sweet shooting rifle. Zeroed it at 100 yards after about 10 shots then I shot the rest of the box of ammo. Today I went back and shot it with a cold barrel to see how the first shot would do. Very impressed at 100 yards so I backed up to 150 yards and with no adjustments holding on center it shot bullseye. Might just have to get one for myself. I shot factor Winchester Deer Season Extreme Point 140 grn ammo.

Attachments

• 100 Yards.jpg
    100 Yards.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 150 Yards.jpg
    150 Yards.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6

chuckdog

My first 7-08 was a Remington 788. I bought it new, in a newly introduced round in 1980 or 81.

It was plain and heavy, but it would shoot.

I've owned a pile of 7-08's over the years. It's a very capable round.

Your daughter-in-law has a shooter!

Last edited:

hunter 85

I don’t know that I can love that caliber. My dad had a model 7 youth that he replaced the stock on with some aftermarket super light stock and mounted a luey 2-7 and loaded the rifle weight just over 6 pounds. Was the hardest recoiling rifle I think I’ve ever shot in my life!

snooker1

I don’t know that I can love that caliber. My dad had a model 7 youth that he replaced the stock on with some aftermarket super light stock and mounted a luey 2-7 and loaded the rifle weight just over 6 pounds. Was the hardest recoiling rifle I think I’ve ever shot in my life!

I thought it had the same recoil is a 308, now my Marlin 336 in 35 cal shooting a 200 grn bullet has some kick to it.

hunter 85

I thought it had the same recoil is a 308, now my Marlin 336 in 35 cal shooting a 200 grn bullet has some kick to it.
I don’t know it’s was something about that rifle’s recoil I did not. I will shoot my 700 in 35 whelen or 3.5 in turkey loads all day long.

sleepr71

Well ..She can’t blame the rifle if she misses:biggrin2: As far as recoil....Probably just the light weight. Nothing to absorb/slow the recoil ? I’ve shot one in a Model 7 also & it has a punch. I used to strive for light weight. Now..I like a rifle that weighs around 8lbs?

SC Hunter

A 7mm-08 will always have a place in my safe. It is by far my favorite caliber for deer in North America I've never felt under gunned carrying my 7mm-08. I am going to have another one here soon I'm pretty sure.

Steven037

I’ve got two. Both Browning x-bolts. One compact and one full size. I load 140 grain partitions and 140 accubonds for both. You feel the compact more for sure but both are just a solid push. Both extremely accurate with hand loads. I just like the compact for carrying around more. You lose a little velocity but not enough to matter. None of our shots are over 200 and most are under 100. Love the 7-08.

Bobby Bigtime

The 7-08 is a well balanced, versatile and inherently accurate cartridge. The selection of bullets available is astounding and makes it adaptable for virtually any application.

Iron ghost

7mm-08 is a phenomenal round, possibly THE perfect round for whitetail. Works just fine on bigger game too.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes the next 6.5 creedmoor, popularity wise.

As for the recoil mentioned above, 7mm-08 is a pussycat when it comes to recoil- kicks less than a .308 and just a hair more than 6.5cm. There’s a reason it’s chambered in most youth rifles. If you had one that kicks, it’s most definitely due to the rifle(being lightweight), not the round.

For those not familiar with the 7mm-08 there’s lots of great articles out there, like this one from Ron Spomer: https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/7mm-08-beats-the-308/

It‘s got a cult following over on the Hunt talk forums too. So much so that they refer to it as the 7mm-HT :LOL:

The only real negative thing I can come up with about the 7mm-08 is the scarcity of factory ammo.

killerv

moved on from my 270 after about 20 years of shooting it to a model 7 in the 708. 708 is the perfect round in our neck of the woods in my opinion. Im about out of my handloads and dont have a spot at the new place yet for my reloading, so I sprung for some factory Nosler 120bt this year. I was lazy sighting it in this year and did it off the tool box, first group was just a hair over 1in @100. Can't complain with a toolbox rest and factory ammo. Love this round.

Meriwether Mike

Killed a pile of deer and coyotes with my Browning 7mm-08. I had a gun shop over in Lilburn do their magic on it and she is a shooter. Her name is "Bad Medicine."Curly #1.jpg

Powerline

Fantastic round love me some 7-08. I have 3. Rem 700 mountain rifle, Rem 700 LVSF and a
FN Herstal produced Winchester model 70

bighonkinjeep

No difference between 7-08 and .308 at any reasonable hunting distance. Way way out there, yes there is a small difference in trajectory.
Anyone who says they can tell a difference in recoil between a 140gr 7-08 and a 150gr .308 on their shoulder has a 50% chance of guessing right.
.308 ammo is easier to find, has a wider selection of bullets to choose from, and usually less expensive. 7-08 is no more or less accurate than any other bottleneck centerfire cartridge
If you just have to be one of those guys that shoots something "different" then that's what the 7-08 is.

Nimrod71

Snook, I have used a 7mm - 08 for the past 15 years and I love it. I have lost count of the number of deer I killed with that rifle. This year I retired it and put it back for hard times. It was just to good at killing deer, it seemed like all you had to do was point and pull the trigger and the deer fell dead. I never had to track a deer and I never lost a deer with the 7-08. If someone wants to kill deer I advise them to get a 7-08. It shoots good and I it don't bite you. Good Luck and Be Careful Tomorrow.