New Fan of the 7mm-08

Ray357

AWOL
Killed a buck with mine hunting with BriarPatch99 using Barnes TTSX 110 gr. I love mine.
I loaded 110 Ttsx for my 9 year old to hunt with. 150 yd heart shot, DRT. 200 yd double lung on nice 10 point, not great results. Deer went almost 400 yards. Almost no blood. Glad I had a good dog. Entrance and exit wound were both miniscule. 7-08 is marginal for expanding the Ttsx.

georgia_home

I’ve always liked the 7, particularly the 7 rem mag and the 7-08, but I am a fairly old, late arrival to the rifle game. Changing now just isn’t in the cards. 243 and 30’06 will do.

@Iron ghost ; if you have a full picture of that humpback, please post it! The receiver and engraving look good.

35 Whelen

Had a Ruger M77 Stainless/Synthetic in 7mm-08, sold it, didn't do anything that my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Remington didn't do better. May have been more of the rifle than the round however.

nmurph

They are the same case. You lose some capacity when the 308 is necked down to accept the 284 bullet. With similar bullets and loads recoil is going to be very close. The 308 has more case capacity buts only going to come into play with the heavier bullets that the 308 can sling as opposed to the -08.

280 Man

Banned
Part of statement by Ray 357 "7-08 is marginal for expanding the Ttsx."

With all due respect, but in the words of ol "uncle Ted", "are you kidding me".

Barnes bullets are not my favorite but I have used a few on several deer with very good results. However, the above is pure conjecture with what reads like a sample of one.

The 7-08 is capable of pushing those 110 gr'ers well above 3000 fps and that is plenty of "horsepower" for the Barnes to work.

Ray357

AWOL
Part of statement by Ray 357 "7-08 is marginal for expanding the Ttsx."

With all due respect, but in the words of ol "uncle Ted", "are you kidding me".

Barnes bullets are not my favorite but I have used a few on several deer with very good results. However, the above is pure conjecture with what reads like a sample of one.

The 7-08 is capable of pushing those 110 gr'ers well above 3000 fps and that is plenty of "horsepower" for the Barnes to work.
I love Barnes. Been using them since they were the orig "X" bullet. They perform at high velocity. When Remington bought Barnes, they started trying to market them to all velocities to sell more. The TTSX at 200 yards from a 7-08 is not going to adequately expand unless it hits bone.
2400 fps is pretty much agreed upon min impact velocity, even though Barnes usually says 2000.
That's assuming a bone hit. Shoot a deer between two ribs on entrance and between two ribs on exit and you get no expansion. There is insufficient material to expand the Ttsx unless it's screaming.
Having said that, I will probably send a 85 grain into a deer at 4050 fps any day now. It will expand if it hits between ribs.

Last edited:

Ray357

AWOL
I am a fan of the 6-08 myself even though I have 4 7-08s. Seriously though, the 7-08 is a near ideal Eastern Whitetail cartridge, with proper bullet selection. It's easy to handload for. There is a slight bit of truth in saying "accurate cartridge" ie. 6BR, 6PPC, 30 Br., But Outside bench rest competition, they all have about the same real world accuracy potential inside their range capability. Some cartridges just have much wider pressure nodes than others. The 7-08 has relatively wide nodes. You have a much better chance of being in that node with first ammo you feed a 7-08 than say a .257 Wby.

Last edited:

deerslayer357

Love my 7/08. Got a TC Encore pistol in 7/08 and liked it a lot, so bought a rifle mate to it- a Remington 700 Stainless fluted. It is quickly becoming my go to rifle for deer!

Geezer Ray

Barnes told me 1800fps for full expansion on the 7mm08 and 308. So my Tikka 7mm08 throwing them down range at 3100-3200fps is plenty to get me some grub. Most my shots are well within 100yds.

Ray357

AWOL
Barnes told me 1800fps for full expansion on the 7mm08 and 308. So my Tikka 7mm08 throwing them down range at 3100-3200fps is plenty to get me some grub. Most my shots are well within 100yds.
I would ask them if that is ballistic gel or bone in ballistic gel. I think you will find it to be the latter. There was a lot of info on their website that conveniently disappeared when Berger called Bravo Sierra on it and published it.
When Remington bought Barnes a lot changed. Their bullets almost became magical in many respects. Now that Sierra bought them, I expect their published claims to greatly change. Don't get me wrong, Barnes is a great big game bullet. In my experiences, Its not going to expand on a a non rib lung hit at 3000. If you get bored, put a few in ballistic gel at varying velocities.

Bubba_1122

I don’t know that I can love that caliber. My dad had a model 7 youth that he replaced the stock on with some aftermarket super light stock and mounted a luey 2-7 and loaded the rifle weight just over 6 pounds. Was the hardest recoiling rifle I think I’ve ever shot in my life!
That’s what I’ve carried for years. It does kick but it sure is handy to tote around and maneuver in a stand.

That said I took my 9 year old grandson to shoot mine several weeks ago. We’re trying to get him his first deer. He shot a couple of my Core-locs to start and then I broke out a box of Hornady Reduced Recoil. We’re sitting in a deer stand with the low recoils. :D

Knowing grandkids would be relieving me of the youth Remington I bought me a Bergara in 7-08 two years ago. It’s a sweet shooting and accurate rifle.

Tight Lines

7mm-08 is one of my favorite rounds...it is a tack driver...I have a Cooper with a Swaro on it...that thing will flat drive tacks (the rifle) and the round will do it's job (7mm-08)...if the shooter can do his!

hunter 85

That’s what I’ve carried for years. It does kick but it sure is handy to tote around and maneuver in a stand.

That said I took my 9 year old grandson to shoot mine several weeks ago. We’re trying to get him his first deer. He shot a couple of my Core-locs to start and then I broke out a box of Hornady Reduced Recoil. We’re sitting in a deer stand with the low recoils. :D

Knowing grandkids would be relieving me of the youth Remington I bought me a Bergara in 7-08 two years ago. It’s a sweet shooting and accurate rifle.
It was a dream to carry in the woods and maneuver in the stand no doubt but definitely not a range toy being so light

Buford_Dawg

IMO, the best caliber for southern whitetails, but I am over biased as I have 4 in the gun cabinet. Hard to beat a Rem model 7 in 7mm-08. My most favorite rifle ever, regardless of species or where I am hunting.

280 Man

Banned
Here's what my 7-08 will do with Nosler Partitions when the nut behind the trigger is tight...LOL

Attachments

• 20180809_135200.jpg
    20180809_135200.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 11