New Fan of the 7mm-08

furtaker

I've killed several deer with a 7mm-08. It's an excellent, well balanced hunting round. Good ballistics while providing light recoil and muzzle blast.

Meriwether Mike

Crowned the muzzle, glass bedded and free floated the barrel, lap the lugs on the bolt, 40 oz trigger. Cannot remember them all as it was 7 adjustments to accurize a rifle. The shop was called Bennetts Custom Shop. It has been a while.

Last edited:

HughW2

Mike the Bennetts did one of my rifles and you are right! They did some really excellent work. Do you know if they are still around? I now live down south now; but if I knew where they were located I would make the drive.

Meriwether Mike

I think they relocated to Loganville. Just Google Bennetts Custom Shop.

SC Hunter

My encore with the 7mm-08 heavy barrel did its job again this morning. 140 grain nosler ballistic tip killed a doe at 125 yards. Lower 1/3 of the shoulder out the other side she never moved besides down.

killerv

I don’t know that I can love that caliber. My dad had a model 7 youth that he replaced the stock on with some aftermarket super light stock and mounted a luey 2-7 and loaded the rifle weight just over 6 pounds. Was the hardest recoiling rifle I think I’ve ever shot in my life!

I had bought a youth birched stock model 7 708 for my son, it was a sweet heart with reduced loads, felt like a 223. I was curious what it would do with my standard handloads that I shoot out of my model 7. It was stout. I sent that youth model 7 down the road once I picked up a m77 compact in 260. Its amazing the difference in recoil. No more reduced loads for us. Both are big enough to shoot my stainless synthetic model 7 in 708 now, the limbsaver on it makes a world of difference. My youngest has shot so many with the 260 that is all he wants to take though.

Ray357

AWOL
Colt 45 drinkers use this terminology, us real beer drinkers would say 2 1/2 lbs.
If it were on my rifle, it would be a 3/4 lb trigger if that's your preferred terminology. On my bench guns, it would be a 1/16th of a pound trigger.

SC Hunter

I had bought a youth birched stock model 7 708 for my son, it was a sweet heart with reduced loads, felt like a 223. I was curious what it would do with my standard handloads that I shoot out of my model 7. It was stout. I sent that youth model 7 down the road once I picked up a m77 compact in 260. Its amazing the difference in recoil. No more reduced loads for us. Both are big enough to shoot my stainless synthetic model 7 in 708 now, the limbsaver on it makes a world of difference. My youngest has shot so many with the 260 that is all he wants to take though.
My best friend has a model 77 compact in 7mm-08 and that thing is about a handful! I say I'm going to buy another full size rifle in 7mm-08 but all I carry is my encore. That gun has killed a pile of deer with the 7mm-08 barrel on it.