New Fishing Adventures

ryork

The wife and I became at least permanent for the time being residents of Mentone AL a couple of months ago. We have two small lakes here that have some good bass and bream fishing and have really enjoyed those over the last couple of years. Due to the very steep drive with a literal hair pin turn, can't keep the Skeeter here. Got it stationed at Hales Bar Marina on Nickajack Lake a few weeks ago and have the chance to get out and start exploring some and have even caught a few fish! From there I can run up the TN River towards Chickamauga Dam, or in a short ride be behind Nickajam Dam downstream. A very different fishing experience from what I'm accustomed to. The area between the marina and downtown Chattanooga is gorgeous. Also had to get used to tug boats pushing 100-200 ft barges down the channel, they cut quite a wake! My first goal was to learn to catch smallmouth. I've caught quite a few in my life, but all of them were during two previous trips to Maine. These things are a blast and actually managed to catch a couple dozen or so the first time going after them on a ridiculously cold day for mid November. Next objective is to start figuring out how to catch sauger behind Nickajack Dam. Hoping for some good striper fishing there next spring and summer too. Of course with all that said, come sometime early in March through April I'm sure I'll be pulling the boat south to be on what will always be "home waters" for the spring lineside run out of West Point and the Coosa downstream of the Lock and Dam.

12-5 (1).jpg12-5 (7).jpg12-5 (6).jpg12-5 (3).jpg12-5 (2).jpg12-5 (4).jpg12-5 (5).jpg12-5 (9).jpg

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome! I have some friends that fish that area and you may find the white bass fishing to be better than what we have here. They absolutely slay them up there and not just in the spring.

ryork

Oh that cozy little white colored place in the photo is on the market for a mere $21M……….
That's awesome! I have some friends that fish that area and you may find the white bass fishing to be better than what we have here. They absolutely slay them up there and not just in the spring.

I talked with a guy the other day who said they will stack up like cord wood behind both dams at certain times of the year. Caught a couple on a ned rig the other day bass fishing.

ryork

Come on home ryork, you know we will always wave at the skeeter coming by, hope to see you out there!!!

Carroll County will always be home! Will be on the Hooch next Spring a bunch or at least that’s the plan, that’s too much in my blood to not be. My Mom is right up HWY 27 a piece from Franklin so no issues with having a place to stay etc. We will likely be homesteading again down that way at some point soon. Both our kids are in the Nashville area, one still in school, so will probably keep this place for a while one way or the other as it’s pretty much halfway between home and Nashville. While W GA is home, we’ve really come to love this area too.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Beautiful area ! I’m sure you’ll figure out the fishing pretty quick

warronl

I LOVE fishing that area! We put in at Raccoon Mtn sometimes and ride up to Chickamauga dam! We have also put in near the Chickamauga dam and rode down to Raccoon Mtn catfishing. I drive from Hiram to Menlo sometimes to go to Ami Cemetery. Small world

ryork

I LOVE fishing that area! We put in at Raccoon Mtn sometimes and ride up to Chickamauga dam! We have also put in near the Chickamauga dam and rode down to Raccoon Mtn catfishing. I drive from Hiram to Menlo sometimes to go to Ami Cemetery. Small world

It is a beautiful area for sure. We used the boat ramp in Chattanooga right behind Chickamauga Dam the first time we fished up there. That's quite a boat ride from down towards I-24, particularly when it is cold!

warronl

It is a beautiful area for sure. We used the boat ramp in Chattanooga right behind Chickamauga Dam the first time we fished up there. That's quite a boat ride from down towards I-24, particularly when it is cold!
LOL! Yes Sir it is!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those sauger are fine eating fish. Pretty much exactly like walleye. There used to be a good run on my local river, but it's about ended over the last several years.

ryork

Those sauger are fine eating fish. Pretty much exactly like walleye. There used to be a good run on my local river, but it's about ended over the last several years.

That's why I want to figure out how to catch them, and it it would just be something different.