New Fly

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Clean up that old outfit you have and I`ll make you up some stuff to use with it. Ain`t that rod a split bamboo?
Yeah, but I think it's about shot. It probably needs to be refinished to be usable again. I may have to pick up a beginners set to try a few out.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Looking good. To offset the fragility of peacock herl, either twist it into the tying thread or counterwind fine wire into it. The first method doesn't yield as nice a looking body as the second or tied without either method but either method makes a more durable fly than tied without reinforcement. Gil

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looks very good Nic. I believe that one is definitely a fish catcher.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looking good. To offset the fragility of peacock herl, either twist it into the tying thread or counterwind fine wire into it. The first method doesn't yield as nice a looking body as the second or tied without either method but either method makes a more durable fly than tied without reinforcement. Gil

Thanks for the tip, Gil. I`ll for sure use that trick, because I nearly always break the herl at some point when I`m wrapping it.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I have a lot to learn, but it`s a lot of fun. :cheers:

F.A.R.R.

Nice looking fly, bream will be all over it. A fun way to fish it would be to drop it off one of the foam bugs, if you double up it’s a real hoot.

Another killer bream fly is called “ the bully spider” , they are easy to tie and an absolute bream buster.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking fly. Peacock herl is irresistible to fish.