New glasses,no line progressive lense

sghoghunter

I went a couple weeks ago to the eye dr to get some new glasses that I broke working at the club. I wound up getting the no line progressive lense and so far I’m liking them in every day living but in the woods hunting it’s a different story. I’ve found out if my nose ain’t pointing to it I can’t see it clearly and there’s no more looking to one side without turning my head. I’m thinking about going to buy a pair like my old ones just for hunting. Has anyone else ran into this?

Meriwether Mike

I ran into this as well. It takes a while, but you will adjust to moving your head to line them up. It is really bad when you have to position your head in a small area to work and you are then too close. I also had issues with my peep and pins on my bow. The side of my jaw bone was my anchor and you would have to move your head to see which adjusted your anchor point. I finally just switched to a crossbow. I am also considering a traditional bow just not sure I have the time to perfect the craft.

TomC

Wore contact for over 30 years. Eyes got to where they would dry up constantly with contacts and made the transition to progressives glasses full time over the past year. BIG BIG difference from one set of glasses to the next even with the same prescription progressive lenses. A larger size lens made all the difference to me. More leeway in the larger lenses for lack of a better description when you move your head without getting blurry due to the progressive lens change. I like the look of smaller framed glasses but the sweet spot was just to small, barely move your head and get blurriness which gave me a headache. Not a fan of wearing glasses but I see SOOOO much better with them and my eyes don't constantly dry up like with contacts which was not a problem when I was younger. You will adjust, had to change the string anchor point big time for shooting a bow but now not an issue. Just give it some time but definitely consider a pair of glasses with larger lenses. Made all the difference for me!

Artfuldodger

I've had two pair of progressives going on two years. Never got used to them. I guess they are the best of both at a compromise.

I can't used them to read, work on the car, or computer. Oh they are great for driving and reading a small amount.

I think I may try bi-focals next. I was thinking about Mid-Range Progressives as an option. That way I could see a wider field.

Here is the difference. There are others but they can get quite expensive. Oh, and you can't drive with Workspace Progressives.

https://www.zennioptical.com/workspace-progressives

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I went a couple weeks ago to the eye dr to get some new glasses that I broke working at the club. I wound up getting the no line progressive lense and so far I’m liking them in every day living but in the woods hunting it’s a different story. I’ve found out if my nose ain’t pointing to it I can’t see it clearly and there’s no more looking to one side without turning my head. I’m thinking about going to buy a pair like my old ones just for hunting. Has anyone else ran into this?
I wore the progressives for about 2 years and had the exact same issues as you! Also just the fact of wearing glasses in the summertime was killing me... sweat constantly dripping on them and them sliding down my nose. Got contacts 2 weeks ago.. took a solid week to learn to get them in and back out but now it's actually pretty easy. I'm going back today to get the script tweaked as my distance vision isn't quite to my liking. Dr. told me this would prolly happen and to be patient until she got them dialed in.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Been wearing them a long time, my job required seeing detail at different lengths. Their great once you adapt to them. About jumped a curb trying to drive wIth them the first day I got them.

Anvil Head

Got one pair of p'gressives and they sit on the dresser. Never could get used to them, especially slipping through the woods. Went back to bi's for use in the shop, but normally don't wear glasses for everyday stuff outside the shop unless reading is necessary. Just keep a pair of fold up reading glasses in my pocket for when needed. Good Lord has blessed me with pretty good peepers, be 71 next week.

Israel

BANNED
Been wearing them a long time, my job required seeing detail at different lengths. Their great once you adapt to them. About jumped a curb trying to drive wIth them the first day I got them.
Was trippy (almost literally) walking down stairs when I first had them.

Jack Flynn

I've been wearing progressives for many years. The problem you are having is common. You have to point that nose at whatever you are looking at to see it clearly. Now about 12 years ago I solved my in the woods problem like you are having. I went to my eye doctor and got him to make me a pair of hunting glasses. Pretty good sized frames for the lense. We did my long distance prescription 100% across the entire surface side to side and top to bottom. I can see everything now and not have to turn my head like with the progressives.

jrickman

I tried them last year. That experiment lasted about 2 weeks. Our eyes move independently from our heads for a reason. Just sitting at a large computer monitor trying to read felt like I was watching a tennis match. No thanks.

HuntingFool

I tried them and didn't like them at all. I don't like having to move my head all the time to focus on what I am looking at. I need to go back and get new lenses because that was 2 years ago and I only wore them for a couple of weeks.

Artfuldodger

I tried them last year. That experiment lasted about 2 weeks. Our eyes move independently from our heads for a reason. Just sitting at a large computer monitor trying to read felt like I was watching a tennis match. No thanks.
The tennis match is a good analogy and the way I feel when wearing mine at the PC or even looking at a magazine page. My wife says she doesn't have to do that nose thing. I think she does and may have just adapted as she has worn them for about 20 years.

sghoghunter

I've been wearing progressives for many years. The problem you are having is common. You have to point that nose at whatever you are looking at to see it clearly. Now about 12 years ago I solved my in the woods problem like you are having. I went to my eye doctor and got him to make me a pair of hunting glasses. Pretty good sized frames for the lense. We did my long distance prescription 100% across the entire surface side to side and top to bottom. I can see everything now and not have to turn my head like with the progressives.

Exactly what I did yesterday. Went and told the girl in the office that I like them for everyday life and for work but I hated them for hunting. $67 later I hope they work

bilgerat

Senior
I learned the hard way that every new pair of glasses will change your focal point, I have to re-sight in every rifle with a scope and the sights on My bow, its slight but it will cause a miss or bad shot placement

sghoghunter

I learned the hard way that every new pair of glasses will change your focal point, I have to re-sight in every rifle with a scope and the sights on My bow, its slight but it will cause a miss or bad shot placement

That hasn’t even crossed my mind

jrickman

I can’t imagine how it would impact a scope zero. Iron sights sure, but I can shoot my scoped rifles with glasses, contacts, or nothing at all and they are dead on. Even when I hand them to someone else, same POA/POI if they do their part. I use MPBR exclusively so that might have something to do with it, but I dial my .22 rifles in on a 2 inch circle so that ain’t a lot of wiggle room.