New Hunting Boot Suggestions

Longhorn 16

My best pair has been Lacrosse but to be honest I don’t put them through too much. If I did I am sure they would disappoint based on the wear/vs light duty use in real life.

I bought my son some Irish Setters 10 years ago and they made it through his teenage years and are still going strong.

Come to think of it it’s probably the only thing he hasn’t tore up.

Jim Boyd

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS ENTIRE POST AS YOU WILL GLAD THAT YOU DID BECAUSE YOU MIGHT GET A REALLY NICE PAIR OF DANNER
BOOTS.

FREE PAIR TO GIVE AWAY BELOW !!!!!!

For probably close to 40-45 years, I always wore Herman Survivor boots that were waterproof and they were really built well and comfortable. Even way back then, these boots cost about $100-$120 a pair but were worth it. I think that I bought 3-4 pair all together and when one of them began to wear out, I took another pair out of the box and began using them. Ultimately, it got where they were no longer available like the originals after Walmart bought out the original Company and then moved all of their production to CHINA and they became more like cheap rubber boots instead.

I became just lost trying to decide on another style boot. The fact is.......Even today, I am still currently wearing the last pair of the Herman Survivors that must be at least 25-30 years old now and they are just about completely worn out now.

A few years ago, I read here on GON about so many people that loved their DANNER BOOTS and they had wonderful results with them.

Well, I previously purchased a pair of Danner Pronghorns Style 42301, Terra Force, Classic Leather Toe and Heel, 8" high, Size 11, Width: EEE

They are a really great looking Boot and they really do look great as they are sitting in the original box with the original receipt from Cabelas. (YES, THEY STILL LOOK TOTALLY BRAND NEW IN THE BOX).

THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE FACT THAT CABELAS WAS GOING TO HAVE A ONE-DAY 1/2 PRICE SALE SO I WENT BY THERE AND TRIED ON THIS PAIR AND HAD ON MUCH THINNER SOCKS THAN WHAT I WOULD NORMAL USE TO HUNT WITH. THEY FIT WELL.....SO THE NEXT DAY WHICH WAS THIS SALE DATE, I WENT BACK AND BOUGHT THE SAME PAIR THAT I HAD TRIED ON THE DAY BEFORE BECAUSE I MARKED THAT BOX SO THAT I COULD EASILY FIND IT AGAIN THAT MORNING.

The original price for this boot ON JUNE 7, 2014 was $189.99 and I paid exactly $102.59 including taxes for them. Back in the fall of 2014 when I was going to go hunting, I put these boots on and wore them on one deer hunting trip up in the country. They were just too tight with the heavier socks involved and honestly, I should have gotten a size 11-1/2 instead. I will say that these boots are the very warmest boots that I have ever worn and they are beautiful as well. I did wear them inside of my house one other time to see if I could get used to them BUT again, they are just too small for my foot.

They have been sitting in the box for the past few years now as I just didn't hunt very much because I spent so much time in Texas with my late girlfriend in her ongoing battle with breast cancer. Even though I have always loved to deer hunt, my girlfriend easily put my mind into a different mind-set where I knew that I needed to be with her and do my best to care for her instead. I spent weeks and even months in Texas over these past years trying my best to help her in any way possible. Ultimately, she passed away in January of 2017 and the fact is that I haven't been the same since. I really didn't hunt but a couple of times in 2016 and not any in 2017. I really had wanted to hunt more in 2018 but still I only hunted a few times this past season because my season was cut short due to an accident back on December 6th that ultimately left me with a fractured foot and also another torn medial Meniscus again.

With all of this said, I knew when I bought these boots that Cabelas had a one year warranty BUT I didn't respond to that fact. Ultimately, I just more or less FORGOT that I had a pair of boots that if someone else could use this size etc, I will ship you these boots (AT NO COST TO YOU) and you take them and wear them and hopefully enjoy them. All I ask of you is that if you do like them, USE THEM and just please make a $25 donation to your local Salvation Army Christmas Bell-Ringer Drive next fall as that is just one of the many charities that I do participate in. This would be an excellent deal to you and also a good deal for the Charity involved.

I REALLY DO HOPE THAT ONE OF YOU CAN ENJOY THESE BOOTS AND GIVE THEM A GOOD HOME AND ULTIMATELY ADD SOME GOOD HUNTING MEMORIES WHILE WEARING THEM.

PLEASE SEND ME A P/M IF YOU CAN USE THESE BOOTS AND HOPEFULLY, IN THE FUTURE, YOU MIGHT OFFER MORE DETAILS OF YOU WEARING THEM WHEN TAKING A REALLY NICE BUCK OF SORTS. IF YOU WILL SEND ME A P/M, I WILL RESPOND ACCORDINGLY TO THE FIRST MESSAGE ETC AND I WILL ALSO RESPOND TO EACH P/M AS I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE ANYONE JUST HANGING AND NOT KNOWING.

Thank You.

SEE THE ACTUAL PHOTO BELOW.

View attachment 955437

You are a true champ and we all salute you.

About as long winded as me but we can overlook that.

In all seriousness, that is a true, gentlemanly gesture.

Jim Boyd

I like rubber boots but since you asked about others specifically, I have a pair of rubber bottom LLBean and they are very waterproof and very comfortable.

They are insulated but are not incredibly warm in cold (< 10f) temps.

Good luck!

280 Man

Banned
You are a true champ and we all salute you.

About as long winded as me but we can overlook that.

In all seriousness, that is a true, gentlemanly gesture.

How do I go about getting these? These are my size..

Never mind. I figured it out...

Core Lokt

I didn't read all of the post but I bought a pair of Danner Sharp Tail rear zip last year. Wish I would have got them years ago. light, comfortable, warm and water proof.

ryanh487

Check out Cabela's bargain cave. I picked up a pair of 400 g Danners a couple years ago for half price. They're exactly like what you're looking for and they're the most comfortable boots I've ever had on my feet. I'll gladly pay full price for a pair the next time they're needed, which I don't expect to be for several more years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for Danner. I'm on about my 7th or 8th season with my latest Danner hunting boots. Comfortable, very light, and warm.

I used to like Rockys, but the last pair I bought and paid a bunch of money for literally fell apart in less than a year.

280 Man

Banned
I haven't owned a pair of Rockys in the last 7-8 years nor have I considered a pair. The last pair I owned were "JUNK". Soles fell apart, stitches came loose etc and not to mention they discontinue models seemingly every year.

Maybe that's their plan. Make a style for a year, discontinue or do away with, that way you have no recourse for your boots when you take a step and bottom falls off....

frankwright

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/US...;sid=hSVjKpSpRidgKsieHHdiKpTWKm1aSA-enDLMYq3L
I have been wearing the same pair for two seasons of deer, turkey and hog hunting and they are the best boot I have ever owned.
I always wore rubber boots but the weight was wearing me out. These feel like a running shoe and have never let my feet get wet when crossing creeks or walking in the swamps.
I have worn them with wool socks down to 30's and feet have been warm.
My soles are starting to wear a little but I think I can get another year or so with them.
I hunted around and found mine online for sale but don't remember where.

Cmp1

BANNED
Well I hope I have better luck with my Rocky's than some of you guys,,,,now my Irish setters are going on 7 yrs now,,,,sole wear but nothing else,great boots,,,,made in China though,,,,

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
UPDATED AS OF 5:30 PM TODAY, 1/14/2019. THE RECIPIENT RECEIVED THESE FREE BOOTS TODAY AND THEY FIT JUST ABSOLUTELY GREAT !!!!!!

SEE POST # 25 FOR THE ORIGINAL DETAILS. I'M SURELY GLAD THAT IT WORKED OUT GREAT FOR THIS FINE MEMBER HERE !!!!!

Cmp1

BANNED
UPDATED AS OF 5:30 PM TODAY, 1/14/2019. THE RECIPIENT RECEIVED THESE FREE BOOTS TODAY AND THEY FIT JUST ABSOLUTELY GREAT !!!!!!

SEE POST # 25 FOR THE ORIGINAL DETAILS. I'M SURELY GLAD THAT IT WORKED OUT GREAT FOR THIS FINE MEMBER HERE !!!!!
Nice,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Chippewas are good boots, too.