New knapper, any idea where to find material?

Hey y’all, thanks for having me! I’ve just gotten bit by the knapping bug, got a little tile and will acquire some glass but was wondering if there’s anywhere near appling county or Surrounding areas where I can find Knappable stone. I’ve looked to no avail! Hoping y’all have some insight!

Thanks in advance.

Have never tried knapping, but I have several large chunks of coastal plains chert I have picked up out of eroding river banks in south Georgia. Should be able to find some in Appling County along the river. There is plenty on the banks of the Altamaha river. If you cant locate any, pm me and I'll give you some I have found. I go to big hammock every week and could meet you there. This is a good example of what to look for...DSCN7154(1).jpeg

Last edited:
Have never tried knapping, but I have several large chunks of coastal plains chert I have picked up out of eroding river banks in south Georgia. Should be able to find some in Appling County along the river. There is plenty on the banks of the Altamaha river. If you cant locate any, pm me and I'll give you some I have found. I go to big hammock every week and could meet you there. This is a good example of what to look for...View attachment 983405
That’s fantastic! I guess I need to head up to the landing and see what’s up there!!! Thanks man!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Go to knap-ins. Always some good stone vendors. And a good place to learn more, also.

Have never tried knapping, but I have several large chunks of coastal plains chert I have picked up out of eroding river banks in south Georgia. Should be able to find some in Appling County along the river. There is plenty on the banks of the Altamaha river. If you cant locate any, pm me and I'll give you some I have found. I go to big hammock every week and could meet you there. This is a good example of what to look for...View attachment 983405
I must not be looking right. I was at deans landing looking around and didn’t find any. They have a lot of granite that’s been brought in over there though so I may look in a different spot.

oldguy

That same time under the bridges in downtown Albany would have yielded several 5 gallon buckets of flint :giggle:.

Sorry if I gave the impression it would be everywhere. I was finding lumps of it in a sandstone outcropping along the bank. It's my limited understanding that coastal plains chert forms as nodes in sedimentary rock on the ocean floor. When I said it was abundant at the river , I meant like persimmon trees are abundant in the woods. You still have to know where to look.

Sorry if I gave the impression it would be everywhere. I was finding lumps of it in a sandstone outcropping along the bank. It's my limited understanding that coastal plains chert forms as nodes in sedimentary rock on the ocean floor. When I said it was abundant at the river , I meant like persimmon trees are abundant in the woods. You still have to know where to look.
I Figured as much there. I just dont know of spots to go besideslike big hammock or deans landing. I’ll have to keep an eye out for limestone next time I’m near the river.

JDBrown

I buy some from Kentuckyflintworks.com, Dennis has a good variety of rock, you can get spalls, (chunks) , preforms, and he also sells cut and ground stone. Neolithics and Nativeway does too

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some grades of that Coastal Plains will need to be heat-treated to knap well. Some of it is good to go raw.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Still haven’t found any on the altamaha, wish someone could point me into a rough location.
Most knappers will give you their wife's cellphone number and tell you what makes her frisky before they'll tell you where their rock honeyhole is. :)