New Member in the U.K. on my way to Georgia

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Hi Guys,

I currently live in the U.K. but I am in the process of emigrating to the US and will reside in Georgia. My son emigrated over 15 years ago and is now a US citizen, married to a US citizen and they are expecting their first child in the spring.

I'm a keen hunter and in the UK I hunt deer both walk and stalk and from high seats (tree stands). I also shoot game birds (pheasants mainly) both driven and walked up and I also shoot waterfowl on our river estuaries. When local farmers are having trouble with foxes taking lambs, I'll often go out a night with NV and deal with them.

I have two Wirehaired Hungarian Vizslas who are primarily used for bird hunting but they do come with me when I go deer stalking and will either walk to heel when stalking or sit and wait at the bottom of the tree when I'm in a high seat.

I'm keen to carry on with my hunting activities when I move over to Georgia and maybe take up some of the different hunting opportunities available there.

I'm hoping I can learn a lot from you guys as I go forward.

If anyone wants to know about hunting in the UK Im happy to help.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Welcome. What part of Georgia as it’s a big area. Plenty hunting and fishing available.
Jeff

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Welcome to Woody's. It sounds as though you will be a good fit here.

Roebuck

Welcome. What part of Georgia as it’s a big area. Plenty hunting and fishing available.
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I want to be about 30 minutes drive from my son, so that puts me in the Duluth, Lawrencevile, Suwanee areas. So I'm looking at WMAs from there within a 1 to 2 hour drive. I like the look of Cohutta. I guess I'm going to be a public land hunter unless I can find a private club at reasonable cost.

Ian,

Last edited:

Roebuck

Welcome to Woody's. It sounds as though you will be a good fit here.

Thanks for the welcome. I think I'll fit in, my wife and I have been regular visitors to GA over the past 15 years or so. We love the state and it's people amd have always been made to feel welcome. Just waiting for the paperwork to be completed and then we are on our way.

AceOfTheBase

Welcome Ian, good luck on the move & settling in.
Only advice I can think of is get as far away from Atlanta as possible, to hunt public land. Better yet, make friends with as many rural farmers as possible - you have an edge on us locals with the UK accent & hunt'n stories. Just try not to talk too fast !!

Roebuck

Glad to have you. Fill us in on what area so we can tell you how bad the hunting is there.

So around the Duluth, Lawrenceville, Suwanee area. Not any hunting there as far as I can tell. But some WMAs to the north about 1 to 2 hours away. I don't mind travelling, I do that now to get to some good deer country over here.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Welcome to the Campfire.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
So around the Duluth, Lawrenceville, Suwanee area. Not any hunting there as far as I can tell. But some WMAs to the north about 1 to 2 hours away. I don't mind travelling, I do that now to get to some good deer country over here.
I’m southeast of where you’ll be. I live right on edge of National Forest. Within five miles of two WMA’s and two more within 15 miles. I hunt a GSP for woodcock on public ground. Always looking for a good hunting companion.

Roebuck

I’m southeast of where you’ll be. I live right on edge of National Forest. Within five miles of two WMA’s and two more within 15 miles. I hunt a GSP for woodcock on public ground. Always looking for a good hunting companion.

I really like the GSP, I've trained and hunted mine alongside them and I've been impressed what the GSPs can do. Maybe when I'm over there we can go out and find some Woodcock together.

Roebuck

Welcome. Sounds like you might enjoy hunting hogs. Buddy , we got plenty.
Try the WMA’s and NWR in Central Ga .

Thanks, yes I'd like to try hog hunting over there. We have hogs near me in the Forest of Dean. The Forestry guys try to keep the population under control but they are just spreading everywhere. I can get to hunt them but it's expensive because most of the land is managed by outfitters who want to make money. I'd like to try Coyote hunting as well.

Roebuck

Welcome Ian, good luck on the move & settling in.
Only advice I can think of is get as far away from Atlanta as possible, to hunt public land. Better yet, make friends with as many rural farmers as possible - you have an edge on us locals with the UK accent & hunt'n stories. Just try not to talk too fast !!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'll try not to talk too fast!

Roebuck

Welcome! Don't be a stranger to this forum because there's lots of good folks on here!

Thanks for the welcome. I won't be a stranger to this site, I'm learning so much already.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Welcome aboard and to Georgia when you arrive. Wishing you many hunting and other outdoor activities when you arrive and settle in.

Just curious, in your visits have you had a big ol plastic cup or glass of sweet iced tea yet? ;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the campfire, Ian.