New Old School

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks,,,,you guys have problems with line twist,,,,got 6 lb on my UL,,,,you guys use a swivel?
Never had any problems with it with good spinners like BF, Mepps, or Panther Martin. I'd had issues with it fishing Rooster Tails. Half the time, the whole Rooster Tail spins instead of the blade.

I don't use a swivel. Seems like I get a lot less strikes when I use one.

Cmp1

BANNED
Never had any problems with it with good spinners like BF, Mepps, or Panther Martin. I'd had issues with it fishing Rooster Tails. Half the time, the whole Rooster Tail spins instead of the blade.

I don't use a swivel. Seems like I get a lot less strikes when I use one.
Mine happened with a roostertail,,,,Thanks,,,,

Last edited:

NCMTNHunter

Naw, you notice how sloppy your tying is when you take pics. :bounce: The fish don't care, though.

I spinner fish a good bit. I hate Roostertails. Too light, blades don't spin right, and I just never did much good with them.

After nearly fifty years of spinner fishing and tens of thousands of trout, here's what I use, best first.:

Blue Fox super vibrax, #1 and #2, gold blade, plain treble with no dressing or fuzzy stuff. Hands down the best,

Mepps Aglia, #0-#2, gold blade, undressed treble, cut the red plastic sleeve off. Almost as good as the Blue Fox, just a little lighter.

Panther Martin #4, gold blade and black body with yellow dots.

Those are the only spinners I use for trout, ever.

If I need a limit of trout and I need them quick, I'll pick up the spinning rod and tie that Blue Fox on, and you can about heat the grease before you leave. :)

My spinning box is pretty much blue fox and mepps only. I don't even fool with the panther martins. Blue Fox spinners are killers.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I will heed experienced advice and try those.
But, I have caught a load of trout on rooster tails, pink and lime being the colors most often productive.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I will heed experienced advice and try those.
But, I have caught a load of trout on rooster tails, pink and lime being the colors most often productive.
You can catch trout on many things. There are a few things that you can slay trout on in a consistent manner. That gold #1 BF Vibrax is one of them. No telling how many times I've caught a limit of 7 trout on one without getting more than 50 yards from the truck.

Tugboat1

My favorite small stream spinner, if you can find them, is a #0 single hook Mepps, copper blade with a green or brown bug. There's something about that copper color. Same with a copper little Cleo for bigger, deeper water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite small stream spinner, if you can find them, is a #0 single hook Mepps, copper blade with a green or brown bug. There's something about that copper color. Same with a copper little Cleo for bigger, deeper water.
Yeah, the copper ones are hard to find.

TurkeyH90

Very nice flies. Sorta resemble a Grey Ghost of which I have had some success on. Bought some after reading a Gene Hill book where he mentioned them being awesome for Browns.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice flies. Sorta resemble a Grey Ghost of which I have had some success on. Bought some after reading a Gene Hill book where he mentioned them being awesome for Browns.
If nothing else, I just like to fish with old patterns sometimes for the nostalgia.
And ol' Gene was a great writer, I miss him.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After you mentioned the Gray Ghost, I had to tie a couple of those too, or at least as close as I can get without some of those funky endangered species materials that they used on the originals.

grayghost.jpg

grayghost2.jpg