New or Used UTV?

shdw633

I have a Pioneer 700 and love just about everything about the bike. It tops out at 43 and is loud at that speed so if you need more than that look to the pioneer 1000...which comes at a higher price tag.

I bought mine thinking I would replace the ATV and use it only at the farm, but have put about 600 miles on it just riding the backroads. Seems like we ride nearly every evening now. I did sell the ATV though

I'm looking real hard at the 700 right now, my buddy just bought the 1000 for about twice the price of the 700 and then told me he would never go above 45 as it seemed to fast for him.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I'm looking real hard at the 700 right now, my buddy just bought the 1000 for about twice the price of the 700 and then told me he would never go above 45 as it seemed to fast for him.

Speed limit on all my country roads is 30-40 and of course there's no reason to run that hard in the woods. Only things that would make the 700 better in my wee mind would be a 4th gear so that it's not as loud when running at top end and more in cab storage options.

With the engine where it's located, it gets hot especially with the doors and windshield. I have added under seat insulation to help with that and of course in the winter the warmth will be welcome.

If I did it over again I might, might, buy the 700-4. Would never have thought we would ride it as much during off season and it would be nice to have the extra seat for the 14 yr old, but she is ok in the middle (illegally :devilish::ROFLMAO:). Course during season I would not have anyone behind me

mattuga

Banned

I love my Pioneer 700-4, it is the neighborhood pool ride when not hunting season. I use it way more than I anticipated and don't find myself going above 40 mph, wouldn't do above 45 if I could. The whole family likes it.
Like Jim said they are a bit loud and hot in the cab. From a wildlife perspective I do think some of that noise stays in the cab due to engine location/roof but they are also rattle buckets even with some deadening. I think the Pioneer 700-4 roof setup is looks silly but I went with reliability over looks and it has been 100% reliable.
I gave this same advice last year to someone that you should be able to find a 2019 for cheaper once the 2021 come out as they don't like have 3 years worth of the same model on the floor. However we are in a different market now so I don't know if that will even be an option. I bought a new 2017 700-4 from Chattanooga Powersports in Oct or Nov 2018 for $10k (base model, no taxes), the best price you'll find from my experience for a Honda is them.

Gaswamp

comfort, layout, storage, noise the can am has honda beat but hondas will last

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Go to Chattanooga for no sales tax. Get the Polaris 1000. Get power steering too. $14 - 15. The 700 will leave you wantin more I promise you. Make your own windshield out of plexi and can make your own roof cheap too.

cr00241

You can get a new Honda Pioneer out the door cheaper then used out of state. The cheapest place that I have seen is Ramey Honda in Mississippi. Southern Honda in Chattanooga is real close. All the 1000's have power steering not the 700's. I am going to get a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 soon. People are wanting $15-20k for a used one with alot of miles and hours. Plus I use to go to those mud parks, I know what the majority of people do to them.

delacroix

BANNED
People ride UTVs through creeks, rivers and ponds. These are usually reasonable people. My brother and I have been shopping used atvs lately. He found one and bought it. First picture I got from him was the thing stuck in a creek. He's middle aged and normally normal.

I'll buy a new one; probably next year. There's no getting a decent price this year.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Yall mentioned power steering...I agree. The 700 deluxe has power steering and a very nice addition.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Polaris UTV is a good machine, everybody that has a UTV in my club has a Polaris, those that had Yamahas and awasakis sold them and bought Polaris. Buddy in club just bought a 2020 Polaris, think its a 900 and got out the door for under 14K, he bought it in Chattanooga.

Bud Man

I have a 2015 ranger 900 xp that was purchased used . it had 27 miles on it when I got it. I paid 4k less than original owner did . I have over 4k miles on it now . never had a problem and always meticulously maintained. Just picked up a 2019 ranger 570 with 1330 miles on it and not taken care of for half of the original price . I have done a complete front end change out of all the parts and still have considerable amount less than its value into it. It all depends on how quick you want one, how much you are willing to spend ,and how much you are willing to work on something . I knew exactly what I was buying when buying used twice and have no regrets on either one. With new you get exactly that and know where you are starting. Good luck in your search.

killerv

no pioneer costs 20 grand.

no way in the world I'd buy a used one seeing what folks put theirs through. Half the folks with them use them as boats. It would have to be from someone I knew well and kept it up nice.

7 point

Back in 18 I bought a new mule sx 4wd for 8k out the door it's been a good machine for us

SlipperyHill Mo

Bought a 2018 new Pioneer 700-4. Got 3k miles on it now no problems. Bought Honda for reliability. Bought it in Chattanooga, about 12k out the door with roof and windshield and larger tires. I dOnly need more than 43mph. Don’t know why anyone would. Wish I had power steering but it can be added aftermarket ride less than $800. Heat in cab in summer is annoying, but it is nice in the winter.
Again, Honda=Reliabilty!

Darkhorse

I bought a 2003 Polaris 600 in Chattanooga, I didn't pay any sales tax. It was a really good deal, that sales tax adds up.
2 or 3 months later I got a letter from the tax collector in Atlanta. Said I owed them sales tax on my ATV.
I ignored the letter.
The second letter arrived a couple of months later. This one was worded much stronger. I was convinced and sent them a check.

I touched bases with several people I knew who had bought ATV's in Chattanooga, all of them had gotten the letter from the Tax Collector also. In the end they all payed that tax.

SlipperyHill Mo

Have had my Honda for almost 3 years and no letters from Tax Collector. Did not try to title the vehicle in Georgia. That may alert them

killerv

I bought a 2003 Polaris 600 in Chattanooga, I didn't pay any sales tax. It was a really good deal, that sales tax adds up.
2 or 3 months later I got a letter from the tax collector in Atlanta. Said I owed them sales tax on my ATV.
I ignored the letter.
The second letter arrived a couple of months later. This one was worded much stronger. I was convinced and sent them a check.

I touched bases with several people I knew who had bought ATV's in Chattanooga, all of them had gotten the letter from the Tax Collector also. In the end they all payed that tax.

I have certainly heard this is hit or miss. I think it depends on your local tax folks. Down my way, folks get away with it.

Darkhorse

Hit or miss? Maybe. I'm not sure what triggers it.
I did not try to get it titled in Georgia. But I remember having to sign a document pertaining to something like that. They said it was required. I've often wondered if that was the culprit.
The tax was not collected by my local tax folks. It was collected by the state.
Before I made the trip to Chattanooga I called the tax folks in Atlanta and asked them about it. They said if I didn't pay taxes at the time of purchase then no tax needed to be paid later.
So much for that.

Kawasaki mule pro fat. Bought one last week love it. I also have a can am commander 1000 that I love. The Kawasaki hauls the Fam and works