new poster,,,w/picture of my pet......

Alan in GA

Been reading a bit on this forum,,,and since I live in Cobb County, thought I'd enter a 'back yard buck' picture I took on Sept 12, 2005. This is the largest of 3 bucks,,other two just out of picture. An 8 pt that was here a day earlier had velvet on all but his brow tines. This guy here is ready for staking his territory in the next weeks!
My styrofoam deer [buck] is only 20 yards from this guy,,,I bet I won't have it standing in one piece for long.
I have one problem,,I'm a meat hunter~! Although this guy would make a trophy,,,his venison will NOT be as good as one of the mature does that are in the woods here, too. I think a better picture [focused] will be my 'capture' of the bucks,,and one of the does will get an arrow.
ps--> no need to ask 'where?'~! I'll just say West Cobb.

Alan in Ga

Attachments

• DSCN0421.JPG
    DSCN0421.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

beginnersluck

Man, talk about adding fuel to the campfire! Good post, and nice to have you with us!

Alan in GA

let me just say,,,,,,,

if you have a patch of woods near you [backyard ajoining?],,put some corn out,,and always watch. I knew deer were around,,but never thought I'd see THREE bucks at one time. Smallest looked to be a 6 pt,,,I was too busy watching this guy. Almost cried because I had been fiddling with my digital camera the night before and must have set it somehow to where the focus was not working in dim light.
Now I have to put up a stand at least 200 yards away from my food spot. I think I may just remove what little corn is left and wait on the Muscadines to ripen and drop. Wish I had a Persimmon tree nearby to fertilize and nurish!
Most of you know that it takes very little woods to 'hold and hide' a nice buck,,but a picture helps the debate.
BTW,,I bow hunted Saturday, about 15 minutes away at friend's farm,,no luck. When I pulled in the house at 9:52 am,,,there were deer everywhere. Figures.
One problem,,my wife has seen them. Yup,,,she's gonna start giving them names now probably. She won't notice a doe missing from the group do you think~!?
Alan in Ga

Last edited:

Nugefan

his meat might not be as tender but you can do some good things to help make it a little more tender , shoot that thing....

what a buck , awesome 1st post ......

but we NEED to know where in Cobb ? ::ke:

meriwether john

Nice and symetrical. Take him now and he won't taste any different than a doe. He's not in full rut although I read somewhere that as long as they have headgear a doe in estrous will get bred. He appears to be mature and Woody would like to have a go at him.

Welcome to the fire!! :banana:

Alan in GA

he appears to be 'young',,,,,,

what do you think that rack will look like next year if a car or truck don't get him first?
Just think,,in Cobb County and nearby "white - bow only" [I say 'white' because that's the color in the game regs booklet showing bow only] there are many bucks that mature,,grow gray hair on there necks,,and die of old age, or get a car bumper.
Say he'd be tender now,,huh? [I don't know if I actually will be able to pass on him,,,I mean,,what if a doe ISN'T there when I'm in the stand???!
By the way, I shot a doe in southern zone in first week of January this year [end of 2004-2005 season], and she had two fetus about 4" long. With the extended season in the Cobb and local countys going to January 31,,there will be some large fetus found!
Alan in GA

Trizey

Welcome Alan :)

Thanks for sharing the picture!

To me, that buck looks 3.5+ It appears he has a good sway in his back and good size body.

Meriwether Mike

Thats a great picture. Good luck with the doe and post some more pictures of him. :bounce: Preferably with the GPS coordinates. :D

Alan in GA

acorns still in the trees......

I think the deer are very hungry right now. The oaks in my yard are HEAVY with acorns as I look with my 10 x 50 binocs.
When do they drop?
Alan in GA.

Lthomas

Lord what a pretty deer. I mean he is not on the huge side but dang he sure is pretty.

the HEED!

Banned
Cobb County

my brother is hunting some bucks in Cobb and saw a MONSTER buck sunday night, he also had another nice 8 pointer come by. He had my littel nephew with him and was just sitting and gonna film. He said the big daddy had its head down at 50 yards and he cut on the camera and the "beep beep" sent the big boy into lightning bolt mode! He didnt wait to see what it was fo sho. I also am hunting in Cobb near my house and jumped 4 deer sunday evening and found some good buck sign and trees used for rubbing velvet off and some HUGE tracks!!!!!!!! Yea c'mon!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I killed a nice buck on opening day last year. He tasted great. I could not tell the difference between him and a mature doe. Seems to me they always taste better if you can get one before they switch to acorns.

Alan in GA

maybe a smaller 8 pt would be good,,,,,,[picture]

this morning I had 3,,one doe came to within 10 feet of my garbage can which is 20 yards from my porch. This small 8 pt stayed about 45 yards off until dogs barked and spooked him.

Attachments

• DSCN0469.JPG
    DSCN0469.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 96

Alan in GA

I live right over at,,,,,,,,,

msubulldog said:
Welcome Alan, Where are you in Cobb County. I have one in my backyard that looks similar. May be the same deer?

.......at,,,,,HEY,,! HEY HEY!...nice try!
Ha!

hunter rich

If you want, I will be more thean happy to come over and guard that buck. I'll even bring my bow to fend off anyone who may try to get a shot at him. I just hope I don't accidently miss them and hit that sweet little deer. :rolleyes: