New Pup Llewellin Setter “Duke”

Pate55

First impression is that this is a laid back pup. Of course I had to go get some quail he was interested for about 10 seconds, then he saw a leaf. ? Any tips on how long before bird training? We are just training “here” and “kennel” right now.

Pate55

Let him be a puppy first. Obedience training now makes training for birds easier in a few months.
Thank you for your reply. What about building prey drive? He’s about to be 11 weeks old and I’ve read the imprinting stage last till 20 weeks. Right now I’ve got 2 live quail in my shed and I’m itching to use em.?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Just put them in a cage to let him find them on his own. Place the birds in a different spot each time but don’t overdo it.

Pate55

I need some help. We have got into some wild coveys. After his first point of the hunt and after the shot, he basically turns into the Tasmanian Devil flushing the rest of the birds everywhere. This “Blitzkrieg’” does offer a few more shot opportunities when they fly within shooting range which is quite honestly very fun to watch and take advantage of. Just wondering if I should shoot at the birds he flushes or let them fly.It takes a while to get him back under control. He doesn’t respond to any commands once he goes into “Blitzkrieg” mode until I put him back on the lead.

Mexican Squealer

Check cord then an e collar….last thing you want is Blitzkrieg. Wild coveys will not keep holding as they take to education quickly. Letting him get away with bad habits at this age will translate into an imprinting of bad habits..You must be in control of the dog. And that’s one pretty dog you got!

Pate55

Check cord then an e collar….last thing you want is Blitzkrieg. Wild coveys will not keep holding as they take to education quickly. Letting him get away with bad habits at this age will translate into an imprinting of bad habits..You must be in control of the dog. And that’s one pretty dog you got!

AceOfTheBase

reminds me of my Llewellin, also named Duke.
during that puppy phase, he always had a drag rope the made it easier to get back under control. think it was about 18 months when that wasn't needed.
Takes a bunce of practice and ton of patience, but worth it.

Pate55

Thank you for your reply. I’m trying to bring in the Ecollar as last resort. How do you use a check collar and shoot if you’re by yourself? Should I only go when I have another person?

Pate55

reminds me of my Llewellin, also named Duke.
during that puppy phase, he always had a drag rope the made it easier to get back under control. think it was about 18 months when that wasn't needed.
Takes a bunce of practice and ton of patience, but worth it.

Thank you ! He’s 11 months now and couldn’t be more pumped about birds. My problem is probably patience in that it was a lot of fun to watch him point and flush the birds because a few of them flew in shooting range. I’m by myself most of the time so it’s a pretty cool way to spend an hour or so in the woods!

AceOfTheBase

I was alone, so obedience training was the key, also keeping him in close for early stages helped. He learned to change direction on command (whistle), which also helped to keep him close and to stay in touch with his alpha. Some would say a setter should range far out - but that's not my style.
(didn't have e-collars back then, so no comment)