new rules????

hunting 101

what deer hunting rules would you like to see implemented in the state of georgia?
I would like to see the old way of tagging and a mandatory tag turn in (although i know this would be hard but i think would help ALOT).
I would not mind the state going to a QDM except for the fact of kids and new comers to the sport.
I do not want baiting to be legalized but it will not keep me from hunting.
I would like to see minimum fines increase for illegal hunters.
Just a few of my thoughts. Lets hear some others and comments.

Coastie

"I would like to see the old way of tagging and a mandatory tag turn in (although i know this would be hard but i think would help ALOT)."
What advantage do you place on that system? Beyond the obvious ability to get a more accurate handle on kill data, what would be the advantage for a more costly and time consuming method of recording the harvest?
"I would not mind the state going to a QDM except for the fact of kids and new comers to the sport."
QDM is a great tool but all areas of the state are not created equal when it comes to such things as genetics and food. No single QDM criteria can be applied equally across the state especially if it is based on a minimum spread restriction. What would your suggested solution be?
"I would like to see minimum fines increase for illegal hunters."
Increased fines might be a deterent but increased enforcement of existing laws might possibly be more effective. We do not have enough Rangers to go around now and the DNR budget is not increasing enough to maintain the personnell and equipment levels of today. The county Rangers are hard pressed to patrol the areas assigned to them now and with ever increasing numbers of drug law violations they encounter, Boating Safety Patrols in the summertime, Hunter Education classes they are required to give, ongoing training requirements and the odd evening off, game laws sometimes don't get the attention they require. There are a number of things that it would be nice to see change but it all boils down to money and the Legislatures funding of programs required to do it.

flat foot

One buck per year. Archery only through the rut, Like for the bucks to have a chance to live through the rut.

hunting 101

Trapper:

i would like to see tags be a mandatory turn in for dnr to get an accurate number of deer killed and the old way of tagging i think kept more hunters honest about tagging their kill. I have heard several people kill one deer in the morning and then one in the evening and use the same tag; as well as using the same tag for one killed on the 1st then any day between the 10-19. same for the 2nd. purpose of that is only for poachers that kill want to kill more that two bucks.

I really dont know if we could get it any "better" as far as one having to have 4 on a side. Just wanted to hear some ideas.

Would the increased fines allow for more enforcement? I think people that hunt illegal present BIG problems. The give a bad rep for ALL hunters and I think making them pay for it is a good thing.

SADDADDY

flat foot said:
Archery only through the rut, Like for the bucks to have a chance to live through the rut.

Why? :eek: the best time to harvest a mature buck is during the rut so why would we want any to run free :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

:p

1) Larger fines
2) can the 4pt rule
3) one buck per season
4) longer Primitive weapon season
5) scopes on smokepoles

just a few that I would like to see

H

HT2

Hunting........

Well you asked........

So here goes............

No Dog Hunting.........AT ALL!!!!!!!
Large Fines on every law that is broken.
Minimum width spread (15-16 inches) on all bucks.
One buck per year.
Scope on Muzzleloaders
Longer Muzzleloaders
Season change - Start October 15th and run thru Jan. 31st.

Just a few that I'd like to see........

308 WIN

ONE BUCK PER SEASON, AND FIREARMS SEASON NOT STARTING TILL NOVEMBER 15. ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ALL WMA'S OPEN TO BOW ONLY HUNTING ALL SEASON, WHEN NOT OPEN FOR A GUN HUNT. THINK ABOUT ALL THE THOUSANDS OF PRIME ACRES JUST SITTING THERE, CLOSED, THROUGH NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER, EXCEPT FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKENDS FOR QUOTA FIREARM HUNTS! :eek:

GeauxLSU

Two rules

1) State mandated minimum STIFF fines for game violations. CONSISTENT throughout all counties. Third strike you're out.
2) Drop to your knees and thank the good Lord above for a safe day afield and the ability to have gotten out every time you go out regardless if you 'scored' or not. Or if you are not inclined, be appreciative in your own way, whatever it is. (In other words a "no whinning rule!")

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

MCBUCK

2 Bucks--1 Quality 1 legal bone (for the kids)

4 Does.

Archery 15 Sept thru 15 Oct
Muzzleloader 16 Oct Thru 1 November
Gun 2 November thru 15 January (Statewide)
I also like the increase in fines ! You could rotate a couple of weeks from Archery to PW every other year and someone else thinks like me....go back to the old tags or a similar sort..I like the Kentucky tags that are like a truck-line seal , those tags are registered at the county level...Georgia use to do it at the nearest local meat procesors and could do it again...what are these fees going towards now ? A county check station is not out of the question...a DNR man would only have to visit it once or twicw a week ( meat processor/taxidermy man//Woody?!) to collect tags and check sheet. If tags were in place on downed game..bam...easy work for the DNR.
Sorry HT2 ,but you may have opene up something on the dog huntin....I don't have aproblem with em', but that isn't an issue here on the north end of the state...but what if one of those boys..dog hunters..said "no archery!" :hammers: we all hunt here so we all gotta get along man.... we can't fight each other or PETA Pete will get us all. Besides..I still am trying to get a rule passed to ban all Gwinett County residents banned from Cohutta :bounce: ...

Randy

1. I'd like one long season from September to January any weapon.

2. Get rid of the orange vests and put to death anybody who shoots somebody by intentionally pointing and shooting. What I mean is if you are walking through the woods and you get shot the gy doing the shooting gets death. There is no excuse for this to happen. The only reason is intentional.

3. Get rid of any QDM regulations. Let the clubs determine their own QDM.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Eliminate trophy regs....allow hunters and clubs to set their own rules.

Five doe limit.

Scopes on muzzleloaders.

Eliminate weapons without sufficient energy to ethically take a deer (example.....25 cal pistol).

ajmplates

eliminate all these guys hunting rights who talk bad about us good old dog hunting boys.2nd let them who talk down on us doghunters make them clean from around our dog pens for a year

Coastie

hunting 101 said:
Trapper:

i would like to see tags be a mandatory turn in for dnr to get an accurate number of deer killed and the old way of tagging i think kept more hunters honest about tagging their kill. I have heard several people kill one deer in the morning and then one in the evening and use the same tag; as well as using the same tag for one killed on the 1st then any day between the 10-19. same for the 2nd. purpose of that is only for poachers that kill want to kill more that two bucks.

I really dont know if we could get it any "better" as far as one having to have 4 on a side. Just wanted to hear some ideas.

Would the increased fines allow for more enforcement? I think people that hunt illegal present BIG problems. The give a bad rep for ALL hunters and I think making them pay for it is a good thing.

Your last statement first. I believe that fines imposed due to tickets/arrests made by DNR enforcement folks are placed in the general fund by the state, they don't directly help the DNR.

As for the tags, I'm not sure any tagging system is going to deter the poachers that are out there, they don't care if the season is open or closed so why would having to tag a deer during the season make any difference? There are so many opportunities to take deer legally in Georgia, that for the average, ethical hunter to resort to illegal tactics is ridiculous. Most hunters don't even come close to filling all the tags they are entitled to let alone going beyond that. I may very well be wrong in this regard, heaven knows I've been wrong before in this life.

gordylew

Archery season Sept15-Nov-15th, rifle Nov 15th- Dec 31st Muzzle loader Jan1st- Jan 20th
5 deer limit
1st buck all legal
2nd 4pts on one side 15" outside or 16" main beam length
Everybody has to take Gordylew to their Honey hole :banana:
maybe a youth rifle season Nov 10th-15th.