New to GON, rediscovering hunting

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Hey, y'all. Have been reading GON for a while when I'd come across a magazine but didn't realize what a wealth of knowledge these forums were until they kept popping up in my Google search results for WMA squirrels. Made an account a few months back and am just now getting around to posting and subscribing to GON.

I hunted with my dad as a child, got out of the habit, then ended up rooming with an avid outdoorsman @ GT and started getting back into it. In 2021, I've pursued hunting harder than I ever have, and that's really what brings me here.

I'm in my early 30's, a native Georgian, and currently reside in Gwinnett. I hunt North GA and East GA within striking distance, and Southeast GA when I visit my dad, all with varying degrees of success. My roommate-turned-best-friend has entrusted me with his Model 70 30-06 while he's moved to the Aloha State, so I use that for deer, and I use a few shotguns and a 22 bolt gun for squirrels.

I want to get into bear hunting, turkey hunting, and duck hunting, but I'll try anything once, and my next pursuit is finding these elusive North GA WMA hogs. I've got a few project guns, but those aren't really worth sharing until I effect some results. I'm here to learn all I can, contribute where I can, and maybe meet/hunt with a few new folks.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
When in Georgia, do as the Georgians do.
Hunt and fish.
Camping, hiking, canoeing, etc can all be a means to that end.
It pays to be well versed as a general outdoorsman as all of it can tie into your favorite aspects...
As for the forum, don't be shy here. The more you open yourself up with your thoughts, experiences, and opinions, the more you will have returned your way.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Welcome RW88 - I like your handle. Lots of knowledge shared in here as well as spit and whittling talk. Pull up a stump and enjoy the far.

RamblinWreck88

Thanks for the warm welcome, all.

When in Georgia, do as the Georgians do.
Hunt and fish.
Camping, hiking, canoeing, etc can all be a means to that end.
It pays to be well versed as a general outdoorsman as all of it can tie into your favorite aspects...
As for the forum, don't be shy here. The more you open yourself up with your thoughts, experiences, and opinions, the more you will have returned your way.
Well said. I have done a good bit of hiking in the past year, and it has certain paid off for walking all over the mountains.

Welcome RW88 - I like your handle. Lots of knowledge shared in here as well as spit and whittling talk. Pull up a stump and enjoy the far.
And I like your pic. Good to see there are a few of us Yellow Jackets on here, and thanks for the welcome

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Welcome to Woody's. You have found a very special place. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

LTFDretired

Welcome! Get to a range and sight in the rifle. Learn how to keep it clean After every use. Some suggest cleaning can be held off but me, I like to clean it every time after shooting my guns.

RamblinWreck88

Welcome! Get to a range and sight in the rifle. Learn how to keep it clean After every use. Some suggest cleaning can be held off but me, I like to clean it every time after shooting my guns.
Thanks for the welcome! Rest assured, all my guns stay clean and ready to be used. (y)

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Welcome!