New to inserts

cruiser97

Looking to get more weight in to the arrows that I already have. They are black eagle outlaws with 400 spine, 8.1 GPI, and cut to 27.5 inches. At the moment I have 125 grain points. If I was looking to add more weight how much could I reasonably expect to load on to the 400 spine before I need new arrows. And the arrow flight at the moment is good.

GregoryB.

They make arrow tubes as well that slip inside the shaft so you don’t just have to add point weight.

Hillbilly stalker

Gold tip makes 100 grain inserts, if they will fit your arrow.

chrislibby88

They make arrow tubes as well that slip inside the shaft so you don’t just have to add point weight.
Sounds pointless based on my understanding. Why wouldn’t you want more weight FOC? Higher FOC arrows penetrate better, stabilize faster, and are generally easier to tune. I really can’t think of any reason you would want to add evenly distributed weight. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Edit: guess the only reason I can think of would be if you were at the limit of your spine but still wanted a few more gr of weight then putting it behind the shafts fulcrum would work.

Last edited:

GregoryB.

Sounds pointless based on my understanding. Why wouldn’t you want more weight FOC? Higher FOC arrows penetrate better, stabilize faster, and are generally easier to tune. I really can’t think of any reason you would want to add evenly distributed weight. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Edit: guess the only reason I can think of would be if you were at the limit of your spine but still wanted a few more gr of weight then putting it behind the shafts fulcrum would work.[/QUOTE

Back before the current high FOC craze a lot of Trad Bow guys that were shooting carbons wanted to bump up total arrow weight without changing the spine of a already tuned arrow. Some guys even added sand, salt and weed eater line to bump weight. A few extreme cases people put a shaft inside of a shaft.

Hillbilly stalker

Before the carbon arrows took over the archery scene, almost everyone shot aluminum. There were 2 schools of thought at the time. Some guys always got caught up in the speed craze. They shot the lightest arrows possible, put overdraws on their bows and shot the shortest arrows they could to obtain every single FPS they could get. That made the bows a lot louder, I had a Jennings that cracked like a rifle when you shot it. That’s also when bows flew apart or blew up. PSE was one of the big dogs on the block and that’s about when they earned the slogan “ Parts Scattered Everywhere”.

The second school of thought was “ go heavy, quiet bow and better penetration”. But with archery there is always a trade off, ie: fastest = noisiest & touchy”, heavy equals quiet, slow, arching arrow and better penetration. Old school guys shot a wheel bow ( no cams) usually a 2219 or 2315 arrow depending on draw length . A lot of us shot a 145 grain wasp broadhead because that was about the heaviest you could find. When carbon arrows exploded on the scene, they were lighter, faster and had the great sales pitch of “ their either straight or broken”. But they were light and you had very little room to fine tune them to your bow because of the way they were produced. They went by wide brackets like 50-60 lbs, 60-70 lbs and so forth. With aluminum arrows there were several different options to fine tune your set up within your poundage and draw length. So to make the carbons heavier, people added all kinds of thing to the arrow, weed eater cord, small rope, weight tubes and anything else that could add consistent weight. Traditional bow hunters have known all along about FOC, mostly I believe because they shot slower bows with much larger and heavier broad heads. FOC helps with arrow flight first and penetration is gained by the improvement. With the bow tuned and then the arrow tuned…..much is gained by having a heavier arrow. The Ranch Fairy has opened a lot of peoples eyes with his “adult arrows”. You can only add so much by putting extensive weight on the end, but a heavy arrow with a good FOC is the bomb. Back in the day there was not nearly as many options with heavy broadheads.

Hillbilly stalker

I believe it was Tom Miranda that used one shaft inside of another to bump up his total arrow weight to 900+ grains for some type of Buffalo hunt.
Yep....that's the gut shootingest man to ever have a tv show. I believe he was doing that while he was hunting Africa's dangerous game.