New to Savannah - Show me the way

Stoker1

Good morning folks. I'm the FNG and happy to be here.

I'm pretty new to the Savannah/Richmond Hill area and have a J16 skiff, outboard, saltwater trolling motor and electronics. Really hoping someone might be willing to give me a few pointers on how to approach the fishing here. Coming from the Florida panhandle, I learned how to target Specks & Reds throughout the year on artificials and would love to focus on those again. At the same time, I don't have any problem refocusing and throwing for bass or panfish on ultralight gear.

Being in the RH area and with the little skiff, a 4-5 mile run from the ramp would be on the extreme, but doable to put me on some good spots.

I've only hit the launch at Ogeechee/17 once and ran down to the train tracks, beating the banks but no takers. Seems I need to go further towards Ft. McAllister and focus on the creek mouths? The tide swings here are much different than the two a day we had back on the Gulf side.

Appreciate ya' and willing to offer up a trip if you'd show me the way. The skiff might not be the most comfortable to ride in, but its got a lot of room. Enjoy meeting new folks and sharing the camaraderie of the sport.
Jr.

Last edited:

Doboy Dawg

The closer you get to the coast you could see some 6ft. Tide changes. That said, there are a bunch of small rivers and creeks within a hour drive of you. Good luck!

Stoker1

Thanks for the feedback. The rig has an outboard and sorry for the confusion as I meant to say its ready to go with a saltwater trolling motor, electronics etc.

Doboy Dawg

Thanks for the feedback. The rig has an outboard and sorry for the confusion as I meant to say its ready to go with a saltwater trolling motor, electronics etc.

If you’re running a small hp motor you will still need to pay attention to the tides. I’ve been in places the tide was running so strong I was barely making headway against it. One time I had to turn around and go back to the boat ramp.

The closer to the ocean inlets at the coast is where the tides will be stronger. If you’re running a small outboard stay a little closer in until you’re sure what your rig will handle. It might be a good idea to pick up a handheld vhf radio just to be safe.

Seanote

I have the same boat and have no problem going anywhere on the inside. I fish in your area, but I usually launch in Savannah. My 20HP pushes me no matter how much current. If you would like to team up on trying to find fish I would be glad for you to join me in my boat or fish yours. I usually fish on weekdays, but am available on weekends. Shoot me a PM.

Stoker1

Finally got down to the DNR ramp at Keller just to look things over. A gentleman had just launched and we started up a quick conversation. Seems its going to be a good starting point and he pretty much summed it up to start beating the banks right there and work my way out to Blackbeard Creek and that there should be enough trout & reds to keep me entertained.

Noteworthy - the current was ripping with an incoming tide. The Florida panhandle has some strong currents, but usually its in the intracoastal area and will get very slack for a while. This is going to be fun and interesting!

Hope to be out there next weekend.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
A Waterproof Charts for your area will help also, mine helped me when I was learning the waters around Tybee. They can be bought off thier own website water proof charts. Or they're on e bay and amazon also.
And a tide chart from a local bait shack or something, or a tide app on your phone if you're electronics inclined.
Exploring at lowtide is a big help. If you don;t get stuck there at low tide, you won't get stuck at high tide.
Look at exposed structure and oyster rakes at low tide. They will hold fish at higher tide and you'll know where they are so not to hit with your boat. Good luck! Sounds fun!

Stoker1

Update: was able to get out to the DNR ramp last weekend early at the spur of the moment trip. Ran out to Blackbeard and started hitting the oyster bars with artificials. Sidescan show plenty of fish and picked up my first few trout... though they were runts, it was fun. There's just something about tricking a fish with an artificial that I love, but this is going to force me to change up my program. Will bring the cast net along and put some pogey's under a cork next time.

Now for the fun part. The tide is very interesting and quite swift at times even in the big river. One minute its ripping in and the next minute its changed direction and heading out with very little pause in between. Now to find those cubby holes where the fish are.