New to the fly

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Another source is Fly Shack.

SouthGa Fisher

Thank you everyone. I definitely expect to lose flies and plan to stock up.

As far as fishing the stockers, I'm sure it would be nice to pull on some but I would prefer to not catch a fish vs fighting the crowds. I've caught a few stockers on spinning gear but I'll more than likely be trying to find out of the way areas as best I can. I love being out there where most won't put the work in to get to.

splatek

UAEC

As far as fishing the stockers, I'm sure it would be nice to pull on some but I would prefer to not catch a fish vs fighting the crowds. I've caught a few stockers on spinning gear but I'll more than likely be trying to find out of the way areas as best I can. I love being out there where most won't put the work in to get to.

Come spring warm up you could catch a wild trout on a shiny empty hook. It something floating through a plunge pool

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I agree totally, but I think if you're new at this, hitting some of those DH waters will help you hone your skills in a hurry. You can usually find spots that aren't crowded if you walk a little ways. And you can be catching fish on the DH right now when you can't hardly buy a wild fish. Then, go hit the wild waters when it warms up with a little experience under your belt.

SouthGa Fisher

I agree totally, but I think if you're new at this, hitting some of those DH waters will help you hone your skills in a hurry. You can usually find spots that aren't crowded if you walk a little ways. And you can be catching fish on the DH right now when you can't hardly buy a wild fish. Then, go hit the wild waters when it warms up with a little experience under your belt.
By "stockers" I more or less meant the stocking in the spring/summer when everyone follows the trucks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
By "stockers" I more or less meant the stocking in the spring/summer when everyone follows the trucks.
Gotcha. Even on those creeks, if you get away from the bridges and pull-offs where everyone congregates, and fish whole stretches of stream, you can catch fish without being in the middle of a bunch of folks. A lot of those stocked creeks have wild trout in them, too.

SouthGa Fisher

So, I haven't been fishing much and what I have done was not with the fly rod. I took 2 hours yesterday and went to a DH stream and saw no one.
I found a pool FULL of trout (maybe it had just been restocked?). I had a strike on a san juan and missed the hookset I guess. But, they kept easing up to it and grabbing just the tail, and spitting it out. It was pretty cool to see that happen, and see how they reacted to the fly.

Here's the interesting part, the biggest one out of the 6-7 I found, kept trying to eat my indicator, and I mean every time it hit the water or moved on top, the trout would literally come out of the water trying to eat it. I tried a few dries to no avail. What kind of fly would be beneficial in this scenario? A popper maybe?

Thanks everyone for the information. It was actually tons more fun than I thought it would be and I'm definitely going to keep going with the fly.

Tight Lines

So, I haven't been fishing much and what I have done was not with the fly rod. I took 2 hours yesterday and went to a DH stream and saw no one.
I found a pool FULL of trout (maybe it had just been restocked?). I had a strike on a san juan and missed the hookset I guess. But, they kept easing up to it and grabbing just the tail, and spitting it out. It was pretty cool to see that happen, and see how they reacted to the fly.

Here's the interesting part, the biggest one out of the 6-7 I found, kept trying to eat my indicator, and I mean every time it hit the water or moved on top, the trout would literally come out of the water trying to eat it. I tried a few dries to no avail. What kind of fly would be beneficial in this scenario? A popper maybe?

Thanks everyone for the information. It was actually tons more fun than I thought it would be and I'm definitely going to keep going with the fly.
What kind of indicator? Pinch on foam? If they are stockers they are used to the floating fish food...you can use an egg pattern with a bunch of floatant on it and no weight...