New to trad

Shook

I’ve bow hunted with a compound for most of my life. I was wanting to get into traditional with a recurve. I would like to by bow stringer arrows all together. What would you get? Love to take a deer with it

Silver Mallard

Do some research first. Start out with a light draw weight bow, somewhere in the 40-45lb range. It's a completely different animal than shooting a compound. You'll want to learn proper form. Its a huge part of trad archery and if you are over-bowed then the possibility to injure your shoulders is high, not to mention your accuracy will suffer as well.
There are a lot of good bows out there to start out on. Best thing I can recommend is to find someone close to you that has some trad gear that you can try out and see what works best for you whether its a recurve or longbow. Im in the griffin area, Im glad to help out if you are close by. There is a good group of guys on here that's willing to help you get going. Good luck!

rnfarley

What part of town are you in? I'd second Mallard's advice about trying some bows before you buy if at all possible.

Another good idea is to get to some of the trad 3d shoots and meet some of the guys. Leatherwall Classifieds is a good place to pick up a used bow but getting a feel for what you like before you start buying will greatly help

Todd Cook

I’ve bow hunted with a compound for most of my life. I was wanting to get into traditional with a recurve. I would like to by bow stringer arrows all together. What would you get? Love to take a deer with it

I would look hard at a Galaxy Sear recurve. $300 brand new. We got my wife one last year. She's a very experianced trad shooter, but she shoots it better than anything she's ever had. It took me a while to warm up to the ILF style bows, but they are easier to shoot well.

splatek

UAEC
Nothing anybody else hasn't already mentioned, but I wish I'd have tried a few bows before spending a $100 here and $100 there on what ended up not working out that well. There is a youtube channel called Kramer Ammons and he is doing an under $200 review of ten bows. Seems like a neat gut and kid friendly. I personally got a Samick sage to start at the suggestion of several guys that know what they are talking about. It served me well getting my feet wet, but it was slightly too long to shoot from my pop up ground blind. Did some research and found the Black hunter. I love this little bow, Shoots well, short, and didn't break the bank so when I drop it, scratch it, etc... I don't feel too bad. Taken one small deer with it this season and at about 50# draw at my draw length it was complete pass through.

The good thing about a take down is that you can order different weight limbs. Biggest mistake I made when trying to go trad was thinking I could pull more than I could (with good form). Those little upper back and shoulder muscles are used in many things and they are usually weaker than we think. I started with a (I think 60# limbs), then backed off to 40 and worked on form, form, and some form. I try to shoot arrows everyday. It's one of those things that has to be practiced. Most days are OK, some days are phenomenal and others are terrible. That's just part of it, from what I can gather.

Also, once the season is over, attend a local trad shoot, those guys are usually super cool and friendly and might even let you shoot a bow or two. They are also usually willing to help with form or technique questions.

I am brand new so take all that with a grain of salt. I am still looking for my second trad deer...and first black bear.

hambone76

If you are near Carrollton/Newnan, I have a few different bows ranging from 40-60# that you can try out.
I shoot a 45# Bear 76’er for form work and to terrorize the backyard squirrels. I got it off of an auction site (y’all know who) for less than $100. It is a smooth shooting bow and is whisper quiet.
Once you try it you’ll get hooked.
Best of luck.

Latest posts