New to trapping - Duke Dp’s

bnew17

I have never trapped anything except in Havahart traps. I’m interested in trapping some coons...I know a guy who uses the Duke DP coon traps. Would learning the ropes of that be a good base to get started with trapping? I have about 600 acres of land I can trap (never been trapped) and plus the demand for coons is always high around here.

Doug B.

Absolutely! I'm not a fan of DP's, but they will catch coons some. I would try to use bait that is not greasy or wet so that it don't gum up your traps.

Just fyi, you do understand that trapping season is closed now for furbearers? It opens on December 1st. You will also need a trapping license. If you are trapping on land that you own I think the license is free. This is a good place to start https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2ZKOZplbOCdoEtgVOHbpZ5.
You can trap coyotes and beavers year round. Good luck! If you have any questions this is a great place to get answers.

furtaker

Absolutely! I'm not a fan of DP's, but they will catch coons some. I would try to use bait that is not greasy or wet so that it don't gum up your traps.

Just fyi, you do understand that trapping season is closed now for furbearers? It opens on December 1st. You will also need a trapping license. If you are trapping on land that you own I think the license is free. This is a good place to start https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2ZKOZplbOCdoEtgVOHbpZ5.
You can trap coyotes and beavers year round. Good luck! If you have any questions this is a great place to get answers.
Just curious, why are you not a fan of dog proofs? I love them.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I had never trapped anything. Bought me some DPs

Did a little reading. Caught 2 coons on my first night.

I use a big marshmallow under the trigger. Fill it with cheap cat food. Sprinkle a little cat food around. If I put it next to a deep creek. I leave a trail from the waters edge up into the woods were I place the trap.

Doug B.

Just curious, why are you not a fan of dog proofs? I love them.
In my experience, the bigger coons don't seem to want to stick their foot in them. Also, after a few days they stop looking at them completely. I just have better luck with regular foothold traps. I may be doing something wrong with them too. Anyhow, just my preference.

Doug B.

I had never trapped anything. Bought me some DPs

Did a little reading. Caught 2 coons on my first night.

I use a big marshmallow under the trigger. Fill it with cheap cat food. Sprinkle a little cat food around. If I put it next to a deep creek. I leave a trail from the waters edge up into the woods were I place the trap.
You fill the trap to the top with cat food?

furtaker

In my experience, the bigger coons don't seem to want to stick their foot in them. Also, after a few days they stop looking at them completely. I just have better luck with regular foothold traps. I may be doing something wrong with them too. Anyhow, just my preference.
That may be true. I've had good success with them but they're all I use 90% of the time, so I don't have much to compare them to. They are super easy though, which I like.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Yes I fill it all the way to the top. Dosent take alot

buckpasser

They don’t catch coons as good as a foothold bedded right but you can run a pile of them fast. I can set out a hundred in a few hours and that gives them some advantage IMO. This year I ran about 15% success the first night, then it tapered off. If you have time to move them around they stay pretty productive. I have the best results with a jumbo marshmallow speared on the trigger and some fish oiled cat food sprinkled on top. I also used bacon grease based food with lesser results. Good luck!

Fill them with cheap dog food, put a dab of jelly on the dog-food and put a red or green solo-cup over them.

I pre-set mine and place them in a predrilled 2X4 oon the buggy. I can literally set 2 in 30 seconds.... All of mine have quick cables on them.

I could easily set hundreds of these in a day if I had the land.

I have 24 of them and IMHO they are VERY effective and way more effective than a leg hold. More time efficient too. I have caught a few possums in them too.

If every deer club in GA put 2 dozen of these things out every weekend it would really help the turkey population.

Dean

Ran several DP before turkey season, in 2 weeks caught/removed 8 coons....all with dry cat food and the mini marshmallows and as others posted, I do sprinkle a hand full of the cat food around outside the DP tube. Only problem we had is that we didn't use a strong enough gauge to wire to tree and coon twisted until it snapped.... inexpensive trap and for me it works.

Doug B.

Ran several DP before turkey season, in 2 weeks caught/removed 8 coons....all with dry cat food and the mini marshmallows and as others posted, I do sprinkle a hand full of the cat food around outside the DP tube. Only problem we had is that we didn't use a strong enough gauge to wire to tree and coon twisted until it snapped.... inexpensive trap and for me it works.
Never, never use wire to hold a coon trap for that exact reason. Always use chain or cable. Coons are a different kind of somebody.

mossyoakpro

Fill them with cheap dog food, put a dab of jelly on the dog-food and put a red or green solo-cup over them.

I pre-set mine and place them in a predrilled 2X4 oon the buggy. I can literally set 2 in 30 seconds.... All of mine have quick cables on them.

I could easily set hundreds of these in a day if I had the land.

I have 24 of them and IMHO they are VERY effective and way more effective than a leg hold. More time efficient too. I have caught a few possums in them too.

If every deer club in GA put 2 dozen of these things out every weekend it would really help the turkey population.

That pre setting idea is awesome!! I anchor all of mine with a chain and stake but the cable has it's place to. I have tried everything to bait with to experiment and the best I have found is floating catfish food with a trailing scent of fish oil. The catfish food is somewhat weather resistant in case of rain. In dry weather....cheap Dollar General cat food is hard to beat...with the fish oil trail.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

What trap do you use for raccoons?

Doug B.

Ok, I’m looking into getting into trapping and was wanting different options of traps.
Awesome! There is a lot of information here on this forum that you can go back and look at, or if you have a question don't be afraid to ask. There are a lot of great guys here that are great trappers that should be able to answer any question to help you along. I will warn you though, it is very addictive!!! And enjoyable!