New York City

obadiah

My in-laws are planning a trip to New York City for several days around Christmas 2020. I’m not thrilled about the prospect of having several days off from work and not hunting during that time.
That being said, is there anywhere very close to NYC that I could book a guided hunt. I’ve never done anything guided but, in this particular situation, I think it’s my best option. Thanks!

Waddams

Looking at all the NY state regs, might be more trouble than it's worth trying to comply with all that. There are several outfitters and services listed in the NYC area, though. I wouldn't know more than the google search brings up though. I'm sure a guide would be able to walk you through it all though, I imagine you wouldn't be the first out of stater for them. This one looks NYC based, not certain how close the city they base their hunts though.

https://www.learntohuntnyc.com/book-online

I'd be tempted to make extra trips to Lombardi's and Gennaro's for pizza instead.

rnelson5

Long Island will be your best bet. There is some good sea duck hunting and diver hunting in that area.

obadiah

Long Island will be your best bet. There is some good sea duck hunting and diver hunting in that area.
I saw a couple of places doing a google search, but don’t know anyone with first (or even second hand) experience. Do you have anyone you would recommend?

rnelson5

I don’t have anyone that I can personally recommend, but with you starting your research this early you should be able to narrow it down. I was just saying Long Island is where I would be looking.

fatback

I just was up there and flew in and out of LaGuardia and there was bunches of ducks we could see from the airport in the river. Canvasbacks,bluebills, Canadian geese, buffleheads and coots. It was a fun trip. Not sure what your plans are but I definitely recommend the 9-11 memorial and museum and the natural history museum. I did both and enjoyed both quite a bit.

krazybronco2

just got back from hunting Long Island with a local guy if your staying in the inside the 5 boroughs be aware you can not have a gun with you. We tried calling everyone and getting the best option to bring a gun and it was impossible. had to borrow the local guys guns had to use his ammo and stuff like that. but if you go i would look at trying to target black ducks in the salt marshes and if brant are in season you should not have a problem with them. there were people shooting divers and sea ducks outside of the salt marshes.

soyota

Lived up there for 1 year, didn't bring my guns, as someone else said don't even bother trying... just assume you'll use the guide's gun.

I've heard the sea duck hunting up in Montauk is something to see, haven't done it myself, have also heard talk of Port Washington / Manhasset Bay. This thread has what looks like some good local advice: https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/17238-where-can-i-waterfowl-hunt-in-ny/

If you wouldn't mind an overnight trip, you could also go upstate-- I've never hunted there and I'm not sure how strong the flyway is for ducks, but I've spent time in the Finger Lakes area near the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge and it seems to be covered up in just about every living creature.

Latest posts