Newb needs help!

ddd-shooter

Hey guys, just picked up a long bow. Been enjoying the compound game for years, gonna dabble in trad archery. If you were just starting out having never shot instinct, how would you begin? Tips, tricks, videos, books, etc. all would be greatly appreciated. Would like to start out on the right foot and I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF THIS...

Dennis

Where do you live? It would be best to spend a hour with someone to show you what you need to do and work on. To check your setup and arrow selection. Having the correct arrow and getting started the right way will be a HUGE difference in getting on the right path. It ain't hard but you need to understand the basics correctly then you can go at it.

Todd Cook

The Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia will be offering a beginner/ intermediate class at the Rock Ranch Feb 22. Our Central Zone Shoot will be going on then as well. This will be a class geared towards new or fairly new traditional archers/bowhunters. It will be from 9:30-2:00 and cover the basics of bows, strings, arrows, bow setup, shooting and hunting. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact me at toddcooktbg@gmail.com. We need to know how many might attend.

ddd-shooter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Question, what style of aiming do you guys use? What style of fingers? What kind of arrows? Quiver? Broadheads? Style of bow?
I know it's all preference, but I'd like to see what you guys prefer.

strothershwacker

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Question, what style of aiming do you guys use? What style of fingers? What kind of arrows? Quiver? Broadheads? Style of bow?
I know it's all preference, but I'd like to see what you guys prefer.
Unlike the compound world, you'll find trad folks and their shooting methods are as unique as their gear. I shoot instinctively looking at nothing but the target with 3 under. I like aluminum arrows and old zwickey broadheads. The next guy might be a point of aim guy with carbon arrows and so forth. Take it all in with a grain of salt and find what works for you. That's half the fun! Dennis is right you can save time money and headache by hangin out with another shooter. Todd Cooks invite to the central zone shoot would be extremely helpful. I love tradbow hunting and the culture surrounding it. Hope you find it as enjoyable as I have.

splatek

UAEC
I can’t second @strothershwacker more
Every body I talk to and every video I watch suggests something else, but they all end with the sentiment: find what works for you.

That being said, I’ve found The Push YouTube very helpful. I’ve tried wooden arrows, but I’m not there yet and use carbon
If you plan to hunt, I would read dr Ashby’s reports about penetration, hard to argue with science.
personally I like a tapered arrow with a heavy broad head. But I’m shooting a pretty basic beginner bow. I practice 3 under with a gap, instinctive, and fixed crawl. I’m still trying to decide what I like. I’ve not yet hunted using a trad bow, but I’m hoping that changes this season. i think I’m going to be at the central shoot 101 class if you’re there let’s catch up.

Dennis

Everybody does it a little different but the crack shots all do something the same. They have a consistent anchor point along with proper body alignment and a steady bow arm. Sounds easy and it is sometimes but to do it consistently takes PROPER practice and someone to get you started so you don't develop any bad habits. How you aim is well up to you. I teach beginners a gap so they will learn what the proper sight picture is supposed to look like. Everyone who says they shoot instinctively is using the arrow in the background but are concentrating on the target. The only true instinctive shot you ever take was the first shot you ever took. Because every other arrow you shoot from then on will have some form of a learning experience from the last shot. If you could get with someone and get started correctly it would make a world of difference in your learning curve and you will get good soon if you practice correctly.

ddd-shooter

I can’t second @strothershwacker more
Every body I talk to and every video I watch suggests something else, but they all end with the sentiment: find what works for you.

That being said, I’ve found The Push YouTube very helpful. I’ve tried wooden arrows, but I’m not there yet and use carbon
If you plan to hunt, I would read dr Ashby’s reports about penetration, hard to argue with science.
personally I like a tapered arrow with a heavy broad head. But I’m shooting a pretty basic beginner bow. I practice 3 under with a gap, instinctive, and fixed crawl. I’m still trying to decide what I like. I’ve not yet hunted using a trad bow, but I’m hoping that changes this season. i think I’m going to be at the central shoot 101 class if you’re there let’s catch up.
Thanks, I’m really enjoying the push thus far, haven’t seen it all yet.
Im very familiar with Ashby, as he’s inspired my compound arrows greatly. I’m a heavy guy already, lol.

splatek

UAEC
Thanks, I’m really enjoying the push thus far, haven’t seen it all yet.
Im very familiar with Ashby, as he’s inspired my compound arrows greatly. I’m a heavy guy already, lol.

Cool.
This past being my first ever hunting season, I am glad I found Ashby work earlier than later.
I found another good Youtube about a month or so ago: Ranch Fairy... that dude knows his stuff, works with the Ashby foundation, and is strangely funny as all get out.
I would recommend at least having a look.
My boy and I practice just about everyday, our 3D deer recently fell apart in half right where the vitals stick in... I am glad that lil man is enjoying it... It;s really a zen sorta thing for me.

ddd-shooter

Cool.
This past being my first ever hunting season, I am glad I found Ashby work earlier than later.
I found another good Youtube about a month or so ago: Ranch Fairy... that dude knows his stuff, works with the Ashby foundation, and is strangely funny as all get out.
I would recommend at least having a look.
My boy and I practice just about everyday, our 3D deer recently fell apart in half right where the vitals stick in... I am glad that lil man is enjoying it... It;s really a zen sorta thing for me.
That’s awesome! Also, less cool than a 3D target, but good forever is a blob target. Highly recommend.

Silver Mallard

Welcome to the trad world! Just like everyone has pointed out, the gear and different methods used are as abundant as the number of bows some of us own. Don't be afraid to try different things and experiment. Find someone close by that is willing to help you out with your setup. I do recommend listening to ' The Push' podcast. it is a wealth of information for beginner and advanced shooters. They also publish videos on youtube. Go watch the first video they published, you will thank me later.

oldguy

As stated WELCOME!
Don't know where you're located but the second Sat. of every month the South GA Traditional and Primative group gathers just north of Ellaville. Great group of folks. Lots of encouragement and assistance. The big thing you HAVE to do is shoot - every day. Work at it!! Work at it! Work at it! It'll come together and you'll be a happy camper! This is what I think about no pitcher throws strikes everytime and no basketball player hits every shot. Let the bad ones go and move on. This is just me, but practicing with one arrow slows things down and gives you time to think about what's going on rather than whipping out another arrow and repeating your last error.
Good luck!

boissage

I second Ellaville. They are a great bunch of gentlemen. Hatchet Dan will help you make your own bow if you are so inclined. They have all of the tools needed if you don't have your own. I think they have some loaner bows, but I'm not certain of that.