Newbie to fly fishing- Cartersville GA

Hi there! Im brand new to fly fishing.

Could someone possibly suggest a particular trout stream that would be good for a newbie?

Preferably a low stream. I am not too certain that I am ready to take on a river just yet.

BeefMaster

Welcome to the forum. As you live in Cartersville I would suggest you hoof it north to the Blue Ridge area. The Toccoa river runs through there and, as long as it is not generating, it’s an easy wade. Plus, there are plenty of spots on the tail waters that provide public access such as Horseshoe Bend Park, Tammen Park at the Blue Ridge Dam, and Curtis Switch. These are all commonly known and frequented spots that get stocked which will increase your odds of a hookup. This isn’t the best time of year to fish the water above the lake but that’ll change as temperatures drop and it gets stocked.

Last edited:

BeefMaster

http://goldrushtu.org/ga-hatch-chart/

Here is a link to a good chart that will give you some pointers on which flies MIGHT be productive.

Also, if your into trout fishing it is worth considering joining a TU chapter. Some of them have streams of the month which would allow you to fish with some experienced guys on some fun waters.

It is probably too warm this time of year, but they stock Stamp Creek just north of Cartersville during late spring/early summer. It's fairly small but there are some open areas that are good to cast a fly. Also, bream and bass are a blast on a fly rod. Walking the banks of Allatoona or finding a pond close by would be a good way to spend an afternoon and practice your casting and techniques. Welcome to the obsession!