Newbie to the fly rod. Starting with Bass.

Bob2010

We will be fishing Rocky Mnt PFA pretty regular. I don't typically struggle to catch fish when we troll. That lake kicked my butt this morning. I figure if I'm not catching fish. I might as well be casting a fly rod. I have a trout sized rig I can Bream fish with. I really want something good for Bass. I may take it for slot Reds later too in the marsh if I get decent with it. I know very little. What length rod, size reel, etc should I start with? Thanks yall.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I bass fish with a 7 weight rod and line ... love to use those Whitlock deer hair flies ... also the white poppers with black tiger stripes and rubber legs ...
Yep. 9' 7 wt is my go-to bass rod. Poppers, deer hair bugs, weighted streamers.

Robust Redhorse

A 9 foot, 7 weight is my go-to as well for bass.

You can cast pretty big poppers with it and anything smaller. A decent bream will also be a good fight.

Any popper will work, as long as it is mostly yellow.

The number of bites you will get is directly proportional to the number of rubber legs that is has.

Concrete Pete

8 weight just because it does help for the reds. they pull.

Djangofly

I use my 5 and 3 weights for trout and a 9 foot 8 weight for bass and saltwater. I like the 8 for bass because it helps to throw big heavy or wind resistant flies like a frogs and crayfish imitations.

Latest posts