schawk26

Looking to try some trad hunting out!
I’ve hunted compound for about 6-7 years and my interest has peaked in trad bows. Shot a long bow years ago a friend had. Educate me some, long how vs recurve? Where can I find a good used one or fairly inexpensive new one to start with?
I currently pull 70# draw at 29”…I know this completely changes with traditional bow.

Dennis

Go to a few trad shoots handle and shoot several different ones and styles because there all a little different. Find one that the handle fits you well and feels good that is the most important. Be sure not to get one that is too short or heavy. 45# at the most. If i had only one place to go it would be to Big Jims. He can help you find the bow and all the other stuff you will need at one place

Last edited:

rnfarley

Where are you located?

To start, I wish someone had told me to get a longer bow than you think you need, get a lighter bow than you think you need, and learn what good form is before you shoot 10,000 arrows and develop bad habits.

rnfarley

There's a Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia shoot in Carrolton in a few weeks - would be good to go to that and meet some guys and shoot some bows too

schawk26

Thank you both! I have looked at Big Jims bows and they look awesome, I just need to figure out what fits me and feels good to shoot.

I am in Fannin Co.

rnfarley

Big Jim makes awesome stuff. The good news about most used trad bows is that if they're in good shape and are from known makers, they hold their value pretty well and it's not expensive to swap around until you find something that fits you well. Much easier than compounds in that regard

Latest posts