Nick Saban says Alabama QB Bryce Young has signed nearly $1M worth of endorsement deals already

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

jicard3

I think this is just gonna make it easier for these kids to get into trouble and possibly make it more dangerous for them off the field. People will begin to take advantage of these kids more than ever watch and see. There will be more harm than good come from this.

I agree with you. Money and the evils that come with it have a way of ruining most everything. This is the part I'm most curious to see shake out. Surely the people ponying the money have enough foresight to make the deal contingent on playing time. Kid signs a big deal, gets that first check and goes out to celebrate. Finds himself arrested for stealing a parking boot and cut from the team. Just like that his deal is gone and the fine print says he owes the money he received back plus some for breach of contract. I think we will soon see kids ruining their lives instead of just their college football career.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I agree with you. Money and the evils that come with it have a way of ruining most everything. This is the part I'm most curious to see shake out. Surely the people ponying the money have enough foresight to make the deal contingent on playing time. Kid signs a big deal, gets that first check and goes out to celebrate. Finds himself arrested for stealing a parking boot and cut from the team. Just like that his deal is gone and the fine print says he owes the money he received back plus some for breach of contract. I think we will soon see kids ruining their lives instead of just their college football career.
So true. Young athletes aren't known for being bastions of self control and moderation. There are plenty of exceptions but there are plenty of ones who will get in trouble too. The sports pages are going to be full of stories in these college towns.

BuckNasty83

You'd think Texas would kill it in recruiting with the big oil companies. Or Tennessee with Pilot and Direct TV. Oregon with Nike money. Etc, etc. You also have the NCAA video games making a comeback. It'll get crazy quick.

Even players can pay players in a sense. I'm sure most of you have never heard of Tennessee's 5th year WR Grant Frerking, but maybe some of you in the Atlanta area have heard of Metro Straw? It's a multimillion dollar landscaping business owned by Grant, who is paying a few of our players.

One thought we didn’t consider, however? That Tennessee wide receiver Grant Frerking — who doubles as the CEO of multimillion-dollar Atlanta-based ground cover company Metro Straw — would sponsor posts by his own teammates for advertisements.

https://againstthepoints.com/2021/0...llion-dollar-company-taking-advantage-of-nil/

brownceluse

The notion that these players that have made it to the NFL are going to pay palyers from their former school is crazy. These progams are funded by donations and 99% of the donations don't come from former athletes. Then you have season ticket holders etc. These athletes that got out of the ghetto can't even go back! Or they'll be robbed and or killed. Again, they've messed up their greatest path out of the slums they so want to get out of. It's almost funny. But like everything elese it's usually destroyed from within and college football will end from within. But those youngsters in the ghetto will suffer the most in the end. But it's of their own doing.

Madsnooker

Haters can hate on Saban all they want. Nic is not going to make a media statement that can be defrauded easily and hurt his program. Young did it just like any sharp private company he hired a media firm to market him. They get a cut in these deals, so not all that quoted money is his to keep.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...ung-signs-with-agent-for-marketing-deals.html

I'm not a Saban hater and never have been. The link proves my point. Saban didn't lie but it's not the whole truth. I don't blame him he is going to do everything in his power to hang onto his recruiting in the face of NIL which has the potential to make his job harder. His statement was a shout out to all recruits.... look I have players already making ungodly numbers.... He knee he was getting that question at some point and he knew that's how he would answer that as he knows recruits would eat that answer up. That was an answer full of Hyperbole!!! There's other players that have signed deals just like he did but they haven't got ungodly money at this point approaching a million dollars. In fact its probably likey he hasn't received a penny yet?

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Meanwhile, Georgia Tech's QB arrived an hour earlier without much attention. :rofl:

badly-dressed-florida-man-waving-fl-usa-B840PY.jpg
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Now I will be waiting for @Hooked On Quack to say 1980 .:rolleyes:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm not a Saban hater and never have been. The link proves my point. Saban didn't lie but it's not the whole truth. I don't blame him he is going to do everything in his power to hang onto his recruiting in the face of NIL which has the potential to make his job harder. His statement was a shout out to all recruits.... look I have players already making ungodly numbers.... He knee he was getting that question at some point and he knew that's how he would answer that as he knows recruits would eat that answer up. That was an answer full of Hyperbole!!! There's other players that have signed deals just like he did but they haven't got ungodly money at this point approaching a million dollars. In fact its probably likey he hasn't received a penny yet?

How is it hyperbole if Young has those contracts in place? He gave them projected revenue, same as any business.

Know that I don’t like this in college sports.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
This will likely be my last season for college football. It was a good long run but team sports are in the toilet now.
When all y’all lifelong dawg fans quit watching the dawgs will finally win a natty. I’ll remind you and you know who ?

Madsnooker

How is it hyperbole if Young has those contracts in place? He gave them projected revenue, same as any business.

Know that I don’t like this in college sports.
Hyperbole may have not been the right word. My point is many other players have signed similar deals but Saban is the first coach that has come out and said he has a player that is making ungodly money. At least that I've heard and that's why so much has been made about it. He just took advantage of the question to make a huge recruiting pitch. That was calculated. Saban being Saban. Nothing wrong with that. My point was the qb probably hasn't made a dime yet and there is no telling how much he may make from that deal at least what I read. If there was a number that he has agreed to that is near 7 digits that he will in fact get, I stand corrected.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I think this is just gonna make it easier for these kids to get into trouble and possibly make it more dangerous for them off the field. People will begin to take advantage of these kids more than ever watch and see. There will be more harm than good come from this.

This was my point about Saban knowing what each deal is worth. That ain’t gonna set well with Uncle James who has already Freddie from around the way signed on to “manage” little Hunter’s endorsement deals. Saban might just tell little Hunter how badly Uncle James and Freddie have already robbed him. Uncle James may steer Hunter away from that meddling Saban and toward someone like Mullen or Kiffen who would be willing help him and Freddie rob Hunter blind for just a taste…..

GTMODawg

BANNED

more to the point players families will eat it up and won’t know that is not completely true and not unique to Alabama. When the 7 figures Saban just insinuated was possible for any sophomore at Bama who has never played a meaningful snap in college fails to come to fruition for all but a few Saban may find himself trying to field a team with millionaire sophomores……and only a handful of those.

The transfer portal is still wide open…..they ain’t under a contract with the school YET…..but most deals will eventually require them staying in place AND performing……which is already more than most can achieve.

At least a few who would’ve made some money in the league will find it not worth the effort required to make it at the next level. You give a kid who has never had 2 nickels to rub together a couple of million before taxes and him getting out of bed before noon will seem like a lot to ask. Being hungry is a good motivator……

GTMODawg

BANNED
When all y’all lifelong dawg fans quit watching the dawgs will finally win a natty. I’ll remind you and you know who ?

CFB fans are junkies…..almost all of us have said we were kicking at some point. Some have made game efforts. But we always get back on the horse. Everytime. Without fail.

Has anyone ever met a recovering CFB fan? Nope. Recovering drunks, recovering over eaters, recovering meth heads…..these all exist….most of us know some of them and many times it’s all three rolled up in one person…..and that recovering addict who kicked alcohol, food and meth will be at our house on Saturdays in the fall hollering “GO DAWGS” or whatever y’all say in your house. The only way out of the addiction is death….and some us will be buried in coffins with our teams colors, wearing something from the team and our tombstone will mention our addiction. Ain’t nobody giving it up……..