Nick Saban says Alabama QB Bryce Young has signed nearly $1M worth of endorsement deals already

GTMODawg

BANNED
You'd think Texas would kill it in recruiting with the big oil companies. Or Tennessee with Pilot and Direct TV. Oregon with Nike money. Etc, etc. You also have the NCAA video games making a comeback. It'll get crazy quick.

Even players can pay players in a sense. I'm sure most of you have never heard of Tennessee's 5th year WR Grant Frerking, but maybe some of you in the Atlanta area have heard of Metro Straw? It's a multimillion dollar landscaping business owned by Grant, who is paying a few of our players.

One thought we didn’t consider, however? That Tennessee wide receiver Grant Frerking — who doubles as the CEO of multimillion-dollar Atlanta-based ground cover company Metro Straw — would sponsor posts by his own teammates for advertisements.

https://againstthepoints.com/2021/0...llion-dollar-company-taking-advantage-of-nil/

Syracuse, Rutgers, USC and UCLA are in a position to lap the field. I’ll bet they don’t.

The fact is that the only thing that has changed is they ain’t pretending any longer. They’ve been getting paid, mama and daddy and aunt and uncle have been paid right along. Oil money, Nike money…..it’s been a part of the game all along. The rich will just get richer and Rutgers and UCLA will still be door mats…..

bullgator

‘Reckon it’ll help Florida fans remember CFB didn’t start in 1990? How long had it been before 1996 that UF had won a natty? Oh, that’s right…..NEVER….
There was college football before 1990?........oh my.
D75F54E2-0C20-4590-8BD4-D880DB9F2BD4.png

nickel back

If they were raised on participation trophies they will feel horrible.

If they were raised the right way they will be fine. They will work harder to earn their own endorsements.

It will be interesting to watch the big money boosters sign players to endorsement deals to get them on their teams.

the death of collage football as we know it....

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

brownceluse

The locker room will be an absolute disaster. There’s no way to correct the divide in the locker room. Put the mail in the coffin. It’s drone.

DannyW

:banginghe :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

Why does everybody continue to say "they should be allowed to make money"?

Obviously, some of you have never had to pay for out of state tuition at a major SEC school. These young guys are being paid $30-40k a year, tax free, in the form of an education. Whether or not they do anything with that education is beside the point, they're getting it.

And for every Bryce Young there are 30-40-50 players who are getting a free education, a foundation for a career and promising life, that would not normally be offered the opportunity. Instead they would go to work in a meaningless job after high school, and struggle their whole life to make rent payments.

Change is constant, I realize that, but this is a fundamental change to the sport. Not some change like outlawing chop blocks.

IMO they done opened a big fat can...

DAWG1419

Obviously, some of you have never had to pay for out of state tuition at a major SEC school. These young guys are being paid $30-40k a year, tax free, in the form of an education. Whether or not they do anything with that education is beside the point, they're getting it.

And for every Bryce Young there are 30-40-50 players who are getting a free education, a foundation for a career and promising life, that would not normally be offered the opportunity. Instead they would go to work in a meaningless job after high school, and struggle their whole life to make rent payments.

Change is constant, I realize that, but this is a fundamental change to the sport. Not some change like outlawing chop blocks.

Add in the stipend they get too

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Well the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that what was happening was illegal. Shouldn’t have been happening in the first place

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It's not better then publix sweet tea but I would say they are equal.
I have tried many different store bought teas, and I can honestly say, didn't really care for any of them. Nestea is terrible. Tried Milos several years ago, and couldn't believe how good it was. I'll be honest, I cannot remember if I've tried Publix's tea or not. I'm sure I have, but it's been awhile. I go in there often, so I may have to try some. Again.

The Milos tea that is sweetened with artificial sugar is gross. I about went cross eyed after trying it. I couldn't even finish a glass of it. Hate artificially sweetened drinks.

weagle

I can answer that:

#1 I played at Auburn in the early 80's on a full ride. In that era, It would have been MUCH easier to get a job and pay tuition. I was grateful for the opportunity and was the first person in my extended family to earn a college degree. I never felt under compensated for my work. My teammate Bo Jackson on the other hand was worth millions to the Yankees and the NFL but could not legally play in the NFL.

#2 I paid out of state tuition for 2 daughters at Auburn and one at Alabama. I know what it costs.

#3 $30 - $40 K tax free does not even come close to what an SEC football player is worth. Not even the 3rd team guard. A 100 man roster is generating 100's of millions of dollars in revenue both for the school and the parasitic NCAA. Every single person associated with the program gets paid as a professional based on their skill level and worth. Any of those people could also sell their skills on the free market except for the talent (players). Until recently, you would go to jail for paying a player for an endorsement or even representing them as an agent.

Just like I have said it would, the fake amateur house of cards has now crumbled. The NFL's free farm league and the (should be illegal) monopoly on the athletic skills of 18-22 year olds is done.

Unless some communist politician steps in the free market will win out. In the next few years you will see a league of College affiliated pro teams replace the current league. The Georgia Bulldogs will have the same relationship to UGA that the Braves have with Atlanta. For the organizers, the goal will be to keep the product looking the same, but the structure behind the organization will be totally different.

This isn't a guess, it's happening now.