Nickel plated brass

Jester896

Senior Clown
I vaguely remember getting 220s maybe with my Win Mag when I bought it. It is an old Browning BBR maybe...pre A-Bolt from the mid 70s. I have had it 25 or so years. Switched over to the Silver Box Power Points in 180 and have run those since then...they shoot in the same hole for me.

My .17HMR shoots the new Remington with the gold polymer tip better than anything else :)

BriarPatch99

No ....I had forgot about the bronze point.... I guess both were the frontier as far as protected points....

quick search show Remington came out with the Bronze Point in early '20s and were the first bullet of the type .....

Winchester came out with the Sliver Tip in 1939

I changed my post to reflect that the Sliver Tip was Wincheser's first attempt at a protected point bullet .... my bad.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I do remember way back running Winchester Silver Tips in my 9mm carry too...that had to be 30 years ago...those were introduced in 1979.

From and old NRA article in American Hunter:
• In 1939 they introduced the “Silvertip” rifle bullet which remains popular even today. In 1952 they introduced the .308 Winchester, one of the most popular cartridges of all time.