Night vision/thermal

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
You don’t have to have a handheld if using a thermal scope. Also you say a good combination is thermal spotter and night vision scope. I can see that if you are predator hunting but I have yet to see anyone get a second shot on a hog like you can get with a thermal.

I mostly use my setup for predator hunting so it works really well for me. If I could afford to go for a thermal scope I would probably get one, but would still use a spotter as I’m not keen on sweeping around with my rifle when looking for quarry, prefer to use the spotter then get the rifle up when I’ve located a target.

You are right that the thermal will give you much better opportunities for follow up shots than digital NV as target acquisition will be so much quicker.

sghoghunter

I mostly use my setup for predator hunting so it works really well for me. If I could afford to go for a thermal scope I would probably get one, but would still use a spotter as I’m not keen on sweeping around with my rifle when looking for quarry, prefer to use the spotter then get the rifle up when I’ve located a target.

You are right that the thermal will give you much better opportunities for follow up shots than digital NV as target acquisition will be so much quicker.

Some people love them but I prefer not to use one. If I had a smaller one that would mount to a bump hat that would make it hands free I might would change my mind but I don’t have that much extra cash.

chase870

Possum Sox
I shoot a dedicated thermal scope on a rifle, and use a handheld thermal for spotting. It took many years and a ton of research and development to get to that. I started night hunting in the Q Beam days, red lense etc. beavers in golf course lakes were a specialty. If you hunt a good bit go with the thermal. Don't cut corners on quality, you get what you pay for with thermal