No food plots...

TurkeyKiller12

How many out there don't hunt food plots or any type of bait? I've done food plots off and on over the years but with very low deer population in my area, I never really see any difference in sightings from the stand and also fighting the yearly droughts in my part of the state. Also, what are some other methods that you guys use for hunting very very thick planted pines. The only options I have right now are watching roads and fire breaks. Can't wait for a few more years when I can see under the trees.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
How many out there don't hunt food plots or any type of bait? I've done food plots off and on over the years but with very low deer population in my area, I never really see any difference in sightings from the stand and also fighting the yearly droughts in my part of the state. Also, what are some other methods that you guys use for hunting very very thick planted pines. The only options I have right now are watching roads and fire breaks. Can't wait for a few more years when I can see under the trees.

Pines don’t die from limb removal. You can create shooting lanes with a sharpe machete in minutes. But never cut the tops.
Of course this needs to be okay with the owner.

TurkeyKiller12

Pines don’t die from limb removal. You can create shooting lanes with a sharpe machete in minutes. But never cut the tops.
Of course this needs to be okay with the owner.
I have done this in a few areas and of course along the roads. It is amazing how fast young pines will swallow a road up if not cut back. This planting is around 6 years old.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
In those really thick pines, you can usually find a small opening here or there. The best way to find em is to find a deer trail leading in and it will usually lead to one. It might not be much but every one I've ever found had multiple trails going into. Sorta like a hub with spokes.

TurkeyKiller12

In those really thick pines, you can usually find a small opening here or there. The best way to find em is to find a deer trail leading in and it will usually lead to one. It might not be much but every one I've ever found had multiple trails going into. Sorta like a hub with spokes.
Thanks for the info. I've hunted this place for a long time but this new planting even after a few years is a challenge. Deer sightings are few and far between but I am hopeful that with it getting thicker each year that will help it hold more deer.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have done this in a few areas and of course along the roads. It is amazing how fast young pines will swallow a road up if not cut back. This planting is around 6 years old.

You got about 3 more years to go. In the mean time if the timber company won't have a triple hemorrhage cut some limbs and clear some shooting lanes and hunt out of a ground blind.

TurkeyKiller12

You got about 3 more years to go. In the mean time if the timber company won't have a triple hemorrhage cut some limbs and clear some shooting lanes and hunt out of a ground blind.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the info. Ground blinds and tripods must've been made for people hunting stuff like this. Lol.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Ground blinds and tripods must've been made for people hunting stuff like this. Lol.

I feel your pain. Been there done that. The good news is when the pines are thick like that they are a sponge and hold tons of deer big time. My property borders a timber company's property and after they clear cut and replanted their stuff got thick. Mine is mostly hardwoods with pine tree thickets. I could walk down the property line and deer would be standing at the end of the rows of pine trees on their side of the line. It was almost like shooting fish in a barrel.

Buckman18

I find hunting food plots extremely boring, except in the ultra late season. Sure you can see a lot of deer, and I’m not knocking anyone who depends on plots to be successful, but IMO it’s much more rewarding to find and read sign in the woods and pattern a big buck the old school way.

As for hunting thick pines, generally, I prefer to hunt edges. I like to set up 40-50 yards in mature pines, climb up, and watch the edge of thick pines. Rubs, scrapes, topo, trails and tracks will tell you where to climb. Also, acorns that border thick pines can be productive. If thick pines is ALL you have, trim shooting lanes where buck trails intersect, and hope for the best.

BowArrow

No corn, food plots, camaro, or attractant. I like to scout for deer sign all year. When I walk out in my yard, I am looking for deer tracks. I am 81 years old and bow only. Getting a little harder climbing trees and dragging deer but will continue until I can not draw my BowTech SR6.

MikeyD6

Deleted
No corn, food plots, camaro, or attractant. I like to scout for deer sign all year. When I walk out in my yard, I am looking for deer tracks. I am 81 years old and bow only. Getting a little harder climbing trees and dragging deer but will continue until I can not draw my BowTech SR6.

Well done sir! I can only hope that I'll be able to reach that age and still be able to hunt.

hikingthehills

Thats awesome! You're a what I hope to be someday, 80 and still hunting! Good luck this year:clap:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I don’t hunt over them much but I sure like to feed em ! I got food plots and feeders everywhere , I’m also in a lease with same issue u have with 6 year old pines , ours has a ton of undergrowth , most members hunt the roads and corn piles , I like to get in the bottoms or creek where the timber crew left trees or on property line and climb as high as I can and hope I can see