No one is as smart as all of us? (Updated pics added)

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Another thought.

I'd choose 1 1/4 acres and go with 50 pounds of oats and all your clovers. Then with the balance of your plots, drill 100 pounds/acre of oats and mix in your AWP's except leave areas, where you want the deer to be, later in the year and plant your winter greens there. Some place in view of your stands?

In theory, the deer will go after the oats first, then brassica's and then the clover. Might give you an area in November to bring deer in a little closer to where you want them to be?

Peak Utilization.JPG

Jim Boyd

Another thought.

I'd choose 1 1/4 acres and go with 50 pounds of oats and all your clovers. Then with the balance of your plots, drill 100 pounds/acre of oats and mix in your AWP's except leave areas, where you want the deer to be, later in the year and plant your winter greens there. Some place in view of your stands?

In theory, the deer will go after the oats first, then brassica's and then the clover. Might give you an area in November to bring deer in a little closer to where you want them to be?

View attachment 1102402

Very interesting and thanks !

Many of the planted areas would have no stand.

I am far less concerned about hunting the deer than I am feeding them and keeping them on the farm.

Genuinely appreciate the feedback!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Very interesting and thanks !

Many of the planted areas would have no stand.

I am far less concerned about hunting the deer than I am feeding them and keeping them on the farm.

Genuinely appreciate the feedback!

And really that's the only thing I try to do. Keep the deer on or near our properties year round, if possible, with the best feed our limited budget can afford.

Jim Boyd

And really that's the only thing I try to do. Keep the deer on or near our properties year round, if possible, with the best feed our limited budget can afford.

Great strategy, IMO.

Jo green lighted me this weekend to create a tree strategy on our place.

She authorized $1500.

She is not overly keen on it but I think she recognizes the value in trees, from an overall long term plan.

I pointed out our 25 acres of planted pine and the value they represent.

?

davidhelmly

Hey Jim,
Sorry I'm late to the party but its been daylight till dark lately.

Given what you have this is what I would do...
2 acs @
6# winter greens per ac
25# AWP per acre
10# crimson per acre
50# oats per acre

The remaining 2 acs @
15# crimson per ac
5# ladino per acre
5# arrowleaf per acre

Use the remainder of the oats to overseed into any bare spots in a month or so.

But what you REALLY need to do is go to the feed store with a $100 bill and get you a 50# bad of medium red clover and put 12# of that on every acre, if you need me to call Jo and get those extra funds allocated just let me know. That red clover will really up the amout of food in every plot and will keep feeding deer thru the summer long after everything else you are planting except for the ladino clover is long gone.

Jim Boyd

Hey Jim,
Sorry I'm late to the party but its been daylight till dark lately.

Given what you have this is what I would do...
2 acs @
6# winter greens per ac
25# AWP per acre
10# crimson per acre
50# oats per acre

The remaining 2 acs @
15# crimson per ac
5# ladino per acre
5# arrowleaf per acre

Use the remainder of the oats to overseed into any bare spots in a month or so.

But what you REALLY need to do is go to the feed store with a $100 bill and get you a 50# bad of medium red clover and put 12# of that on every acre, if you need me to call Jo and get those extra funds allocated just let me know. That red clover will really up the amout of food in every plot and will keep feeding deer thru the summer long after everything else you are planting except for the ladino clover is long gone.

Dang!!!

This is exactly what I need!

You instructions are my command, for sure.

I also cut in about an acre more this weekend, in several spots - it is not amended yet so will just do it with oats and 3x19 - and will lime everything up in the spring.

I can put lime over the clovers, right? And just let the rain take over?

You are the man, David - much appreciated.

No is sitting here laughing about your comments!

All the best sir. Please come visit us at the farm one weekend.

davidhelmly

Good luck this year Jim, I can’t wait to see the farm sometime!! And yes, just lime and/or fertilize over the clover and it will incorporate with rain.

Elkbane

Good strategy by davidhelmly. I would focus the perrenial clover planting on irregular edges where it's easy to spray but difficult to plow. Then depending on the shape of the open ground, it creates more efficient plantings with long straight pulls.

That's exactly what we've done on our farm, and our annual planting efficiency has gone way up - much easier to orchestrate the annual planting when you have long straight pulls.

Elkbane

Jim Boyd

I hav
Good strategy by davidhelmly. I would focus the perrenial clover planting on irregular edges where it's easy to spray but difficult to plow. Then depending on the shape of the open ground, it creates more efficient plantings with long straight pulls.

That's exactly what we've done on our farm, and our annual planting efficiency has gone way up - much easier to orchestrate the annual planting when you have long straight pulls.

Elkbane

I have tried very hard to stay away from the irregular edges.

Makes the work a pain and our herd is so voracious I don’t WANT to do anything to further encourage them into the fields.

Appreciate ya reading and commenting - I need all the help I can get.

C42692A0-7654-420D-AF76-81853E6983D0.jpeg335CD18C-5401-457A-B3BC-B77BF2DA2734.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Oats, AWP and brassica in and doing well.

Planted oats and AWP today.

Will overseed the clovers tonight or in the am.

Raining now.

648BB6D1-E070-4E08-B810-DCB5177A3796.jpeg0088045A-7189-4D53-827B-2A6463C16314.jpeg7CA23594-6C90-420B-8027-9AD77F1425BA.jpeg

Last edited: