nonresident turkey hunting

Resica

In 1970 there were 40 million licensed hunters in the U.S. In 2020 there were 12.6 million. That seems to be quite a decline. Don't know specifics about North Carolina but it's reasonable to assume they are in the same boat as everyone else. I know we've witnessed a big decline here. Used to have over a million deer hunters, now it's less than 700,000.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Maybe that’s why corn sales are up around here. Less hunters. Every lease here is full and this is timber country. 30 years ago there was not this kind of hunting going on. 50 ty years ago there was no deer to hunt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In 1970 there were 40 million licensed hunters in the U.S. In 2020 there were 12.6 million. That seems to be quite a decline. Don't know specifics about North Carolina but it's reasonable to assume they are in the same boat as everyone else. I know we've witnessed a big decline here. Used to have over a million deer hunters, now it's less than 700,000.
Then why is it that I see many, many more hunters than I did in 1970? In the 70s I could hunt anywhere. For free. And not be overrun by other people. Now, Every single acre of land has a hunter on it. Somebody is cooking the books. 12.6 million hunters in the US? Bull. Crap.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Where? Every single place you go is absolutely covered with hunters. Private, public, it's ALL being hunted heavily. Maybe PA is different, but the world is crawling thick with hunters down here. I defy you to find a huntable place that doesn't have someone hunting it. Go on public and try to avoid other people. There are millions of folks out there hunting. I do not believe the lower numbers of hunters at all, because I see twice as many hunters now as I ever have in over half a century.

This^^^^^ I've been hunting now for over 30yrs and now there are more hunters around here than I've ever seen. Not even close. As stated by multiple people there are people all over the place. Any huntable acreage has someone already hunting it or it's leased up. Wanna see a mad scramble? Go over to the Leases section and see a lease anywhere in Northeast Georgia posted and watch how fast the replies fly. It's like a pack of wolves on a T bone. It'll get to a point to where the hassle and expense won't be worth it. I always hear the we need more hunters thing and have always thought, are you crazy??

ddd-shooter

Where did you get those stats?
Fws shows a much different picture. 15,000,000 in 2021. You have to go back to 1984 to get to 16,000,000.
LESS than that in 1964. But, peaking in the 80s Almost 17,000,000.

So, pretty much flat across time. Now think about how small Atlanta was 40 years ago. How many subdivisions have been built in just the last 20 years….Same people, less land.
THATS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM!

Fish and wildlife gives out PR money and such, so they have to know licensed hunters and it does no good to report fewer numbers.

https://www.fws.gov/wsfrprograms/subpages/licenseinfo/hunting.htm

Dupree

Here are some real numbers from usfws website for Georgia. 1971, 2004, 2020. Tell me again how we have less hunters?!?!?! Non resident license holders have doubled between 2004 and 2020, and over 400k more total licenses glad I just looked this up. It verified what I have personally seen 36F30575-5C03-4DCC-9CE5-333F225C7B9F.jpeg2E95068F-1241-4276-9853-BAD47DDA8D44.jpegC2AE943E-2404-4F2A-921F-47C16E345391.jpeg

jrmcc

So the non residents get the blame for the turkeys disappearing? What about the 1 million additional resident license's that increased from the 70's till now? I think the issue is far greater than a YouTube channel that's been around for a year or two.

Increase hunter participation by a million, then develop your farmland or lease everything. More people competing for less land is going to result in more hunter encounters. It may not be as easy as it used to be, but people still manage to kill deer and turkey every year. You get out of it what you put in. It would be interesting to see what percentage was successful in 1970 vs 2020.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
It may not be as easy as it used to be, but people still manage to kill deer and turkey every year. You get out of it what you put in. It would be interesting to see what percentage was successful in 1970 vs 2020.

Pretty sure thats not going to make turkeys or deer reappear though. Managing the land to its carrying capacity may help.

Dupree

So the non residents get the blame for the turkeys disappearing? What about the 1 million additional resident license's that increased from the 70's till now? I think the issue is far greater than a YouTube channel that's been around for a year or two.

Increase hunter participation by a million, then develop your farmland or lease everything. More people competing for less land is going to result in more hunter encounters. It may not be as easy as it used to be, but people still manage to kill deer and turkey every year. You get out of it what you put in. It would be interesting to see what percentage was successful in 1970 vs 2020.
you are correct that issues are greater than a YouTube channel, but at the same time why would our Dnr be paying them to promote our state when there isn’t a shortage of licensed hunters. They say it’s for hunter recruitment, but the numbers show we have been getting more hunters yearly without them showcasing our state with funds provided by hunters.

I have no problem finding and killing deer and turkeys, but in recent years I have joined private leases to lessen the headache of hunter interference. It doesn’t matter if you walk 2-3 miles in to turkey hunt around here, you are gonna have multiple other people listening to the same birds gobbling that you are. Also, as many access points as there are on most public land now, you can only go so far before you are just as close to another access point coming from the other side.

Where did you get these numbers from? Source? I'm shocked if those are valid stats and I'd love to see the source. Not trying to come off brash or challenging to you, its truly a sincere ask as I'm in disbelief at those figures...perhaps the #s are inverted?

bowhunterdavid

I grew up next to Dawson Forrest, Back in the 1980's and 90's i could roam the woods anywhere and might see a few locals here and there. I won't even hunt there anymore, and if a Turkey Gobbles i feel sorry for it because 10 are more people go after it.

Resica

Where did you get these numbers from? Source? I'm shocked if those are valid stats and I'd love to see the source. Not trying to come off brash or challenging to you, its truly a sincere ask as I'm in disbelief at those figures...perhaps the #s are inverted?
I googled it. Can't specifically tell you what the site name was.