North GA hiking

hammerz71

Carry a firearm where ever you go.
You never know what nutjob is out there with you.

+1 It seems every year you hear more horror stories than the year before...

greene_dawg

I'm all for owning guns and toting but I've never felt threatened enough in the backcountry to carry a firearm. Just not worth the weight tradeoff to me.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
In addition the the AT, there is the Benton MacKaye, which is less traveled. The Bartram is another wonderful trail that begins in Ga and runs for 36 miles before it enters NC. I usually run sections of this trail and rarely meet anyone. The Chattooga River trail is another great one, especially in the winter when all the flatlanders are gone. For shorter hikes, there are a couple in Black Rock Mt state park(one 2.5 miles and the other is 7.5) I live in Rabun Co, so am blessed with a choice of trails including a bunch of then in the Coleman River area.

I 2nd the Benton MacKaye!! I'm a trail maintainer for section 3C and it's a nice trail to hike on. It's far less traveled then the AT. Not really a bad place to hike on.. Take a look at the site..

http://www.bmta.org/

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Here's a view of the Benton McKaye south of Ga 60 at the river crossing.

benton5.jpg

Good trout fishing there too!!:cool::cool:

allenww

Benton McKaye @ Toccoa bridge

I meant to say something last time I saw that picture -

Wonderful photo - best view of the bridge I have seen, captures the river, the sun on the water, and has camping interest in the foreground.

Pro shot!

wa

Huntinfool

There's a book called "The Hiking Trails of North Georgia". Buy it. The guy gives you mileage, how to get there, difficulty and reviews of just about every trail out there.

Oh, and BTW....you're right. Raven Cliffs IS stinking awesome!

pnome

I recommend the Pinhoti in Chattoga county along Taylor's Ridge. Beautiful country.

CBH

"Carry a firearm where ever you go.
You never know what nutjob is out there with you"

Now here is a man who seems to know his banjo music, :rofl:.
Seems like good advice to me. I bought this S&W #317 .22 Air Lite for that very reason.
895476handpic.JPG

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't forget the black bears. I carry a squeeze bottle of ammonia with me just incase one tries to get an easy meal.

I had a friend of the family that had their float plane sink in a Canadian lake that was not on their flight plan. With no radio to call for help they had to start a forest fire after not being found for 2 weeks. Thank God it worked.

Bring lighters.

gt40

CBH

These are for bears. A S&W #58 .41 mag and a S&W #629 .44 mag. Much more effective than ammonia.:rofl:

01312.JPG

s_w629l.JPG