North Georgia Brook Trout - fishing buddies wanted

ArrowJack

I haven’t posted very much on GON before and I haven’t posted anything in about one year. I’ve been doing a lot of wild brook trout fishing in the North Georgia mountains lately. I’ve been tracking down these streams a few years now. I’ve gone to some very remote streams the past couple months and had a lot of success catching brookies. They are plentiful in the 4 to 6 inch range, and I am still chasing one bigger than that. To no surprise to most of you reading this, they are biting on almost anything from dry flies to nymphs.

Some of the streams that I have been visiting are basically uncharted (or haven’t been visited in years or decades since the logging and mining era), so there are no trails there and the walk usually is down a ravine or up a mountain through thickets of rhodies and mountain laurels. Sometimes I can take the AT or other trails into the general area and then go off the trail at a determined spot. Strategic travel to the stream must be determined. Sometimes this is a game trail or bear trail, maybe an overgrown undocumented double track road, or at the very least, the path of least resistance is chosen. Point is, these streams are in the middle of the wilderness of the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Accessing these areas is not exactly the safest adventure. I have prepared my gear and myself for all sorts of contingency situations such as injuries, snake bites, or becoming lost. My first aid kit and first aid knowledge has become larger and more proficient. I’ve become versed with a compass, using and making azimuths, and determining distance and location. My compass of choice is the Suunto MC-2 NH. I use a UTM/MGRS scale tool to set my azimuth and mark it on the map. I’ve printed and laminated a variety of satellite and USGS topo maps and ordered several foldable versions from the USGS website. I take a Spot device with me, which is essentially a 2-way satellite phone for texting, location sharing, or emergency situations. A really great app I’ve recently found is GutHook. This app downloads offline maps to your phone and will pinpoint your location without any cell service. So I turn my phone on airplane mode to not drain the battery, and I can still pinpoint and see my location on the map. All of these methods and items combined have really made me feel comfortable about traveling miles off-trail in the CNF.

What I have realized is I can fish more and get my bang for my buck if I backpack into these streams and camp for one or maybe two nights. This way I can cover more ground without having to worry about being back to the truck before dark. I can also be back fishing on the same stream at sunrise. So this has turned into a sort of combination adventure of backpacking / fly fishing for brookies. I like to set up camp at a central location of the stream or watershed that allows me to walk and fish in several directions. I bring all the necessary accoutrements to allow me to camp this way, the typical lightweight camping gear, water and a bear proof cannister for my food. Observing wildlife is another fun aspect of these trips. It’s cool feeling when you spot a natural lick or some bear sign

The fishing is good. The fish are small but I will relish the day I catch a big one. Casting is pretty short and I utilize the bow and arrow cast a lot. There is also a good bit of cane-pole style dipping the fly on the water fishing. But there are usually some spots where I can get in a decent back cast too.

So now, bottom line is, I am looking for some new friends to join me on these trips. If this sounds interesting to you and you aren’t afraid to get off the beaten path, then send me a message!!

Thanks for reading.

- couple fish from Saturday 06/13/2020 -

1592272788984.png
1592272798874.png

mrfudd

Looks like the ones I caught while stationed in Northern Va. I used an ultralight spinning reel and am Mepps fly spinner. I usually caught 6-10 per day. My personal best was probably a 6” fish.

ArrowJack

I guess I’m taking the approach of “you can’t be over prepared”. After re-reading my post, it kind of sounds like over-kill. I mean pioneers and Native Americans have been traveling the the forest for hundreds and thousands of years with little or no regard for bears or snakes, and they did not have compasses. Though I’m sure plenty of them did indeed become lost at some point, and maybe they did not often travel alone. I also intend to live past the age of maturity. With all my gear I am still trying to be mindful of not weighing myself down too much, but the hike in is not more than 2 or 3 miles, albeit steep and rugged. So I would like to find a buddy or a group of guys that is interested in this. I’m sure there are fishermen around north Georgia that have done or are currently doing something similar to this.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Oh to be in better health I would join you.

westcobbdog

my Dad caught and I now have a beautiful Brok trout he caught near Helen in the hooch many years ago, its about 4 lbs if memory serves.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
my Dad caught and I now have a beautiful Brok trout he caught near Helen in the hooch many years ago, its about 4 lbs if memory serves.
That would likely be a stocked northern-strain brook trout, not a wild native speck.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If they cut down the southern woods like they did the northern woods, likely that lots of your brook trout were reintroduced.
They stock northern-strain brook trout heavily here in hatchery-supported and delayed harvest streams, some of them big ones. I have caught some over 20" over the years.

Most of our little wild brook trout waters are still populated by native southern Appalachian-strain specks. They held on tenaciously in the headwaters. There have been a lot of genetic surveys over the last decade or so trying to map them out. An 8"-er is a big one. The northern brooks are usually found in bigger streams that are stocked regularly. Even with time, they seldom get much color. Naturally reproducing populations of northern-strain brook trout are pretty rare here. Most of the wild ones are the natives.

Stocked northern-strain brooks:

giantspeck.jpg

brook.jpg

Native southern Appalachian specks:

c1speck3_zps2vlbtbxp.jpg

speck4.jpg

speck.jpg

ArrowJack

I would like to empathize that I am in the state of Georgia. We are on the far southern end of the brook trout range. There are very limited opportunities for catching them here as compared other states of Appalachia like North Carolina. I love fishing in NC but it is more convenient and affordable for me to stay in Georgia. So this is a big part of why I am exploring these uncharted streams in remote places.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to empathize that I am in the state of Georgia. We are on the far southern end of the brook trout range. There are very limited opportunities for catching them here as compared other states of Appalachia like North Carolina. I love fishing in NC but it is more convenient and affordable for me to stay in Georgia. So this is a big part of why I am exploring these uncharted streams in remote places.
There are plenty of good native speck streams in northern GA if you put in some looking. Just as good as the ones here.

ArrowJack

There are indeed brook trout streams in north Georgia, no disagreement there. Everything I said previously is factual. Georgia is on the far southern end of the eastern brook trout range and the opportunities for catching brook trout here are more limited compared to the other states of Appalachia. You can see where the remaining pockets of brookies in Georgia are on habitat range maps. They are in remote and hard to access places. I have put in the time to find them and have enjoyed a good level of success. Overall the fishing is great, but was just trying to emphasis that there are geographic limitations. Would like to find a group of guys that are interested in fishing these north Georgia streams.
There are plenty of good native speck streams in northern GA if you put in some looking. Just as good as the ones here.

RFJ25

I started last summer taking long hikes in to fish throughout the Chattahoochee-Oconee Forest in search of brookies. While I've only caught one 6" brook trout I've also been very blessed catching with some absolutely stunning wild rainbows, even landed a few 10"+ bows. I live in South metro Atlanta so all my excursions are pretty much day trips. Despite the 2.5 hour drive, I must say I am addicted to chasing wild trout on narrow, mountains streams. I've fished out west, in CO a few times in Estes Park and had a great time, but there is something magical about stalking spooky trout the size of my hand in a rhodendron tunnel in the Blue Ridge mountains and the Smokies.

A few bows from this winter and spring. The last bow is from the "snow storm" in February early this year.

Message sent!

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_225128_478.jpg
    IMG_20200523_225128_478.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200209_194856_134.jpg
    IMG_20200209_194856_134.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 17

Buckman18

My 4 year old "caught" a big stocker brookie yesterday. I'm glad Georgia is finally stocking these again, they are better eating than rainbows, and about anything is better eating than stocker brown trout.

20200704_114429.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
They stock northern-strain brook trout heavily here in hatchery-supported and delayed harvest streams, some of them big ones. I have caught some over 20" over the years.

Most of our little wild brook trout waters are still populated by native southern Appalachian-strain specks. They held on tenaciously in the headwaters. There have been a lot of genetic surveys over the last decade or so trying to map them out. An 8"-er is a big one. The northern brooks are usually found in bigger streams that are stocked regularly. Even with time, they seldom get much color. Naturally reproducing populations of northern-strain brook trout are pretty rare here. Most of the wild ones are the natives.

View attachment 1023598

View attachment 1023599

View attachment 1023600

View attachment 1023601

View attachment 1023605
They are little jewels,beautiful to these eyes.

Tugboat1

View attachment 1023598

View attachment 1023599

View attachment 1023600

View attachment 1023601

View attachment 1023605
Wow! That middle speck is a doozy.

buckpasser

I’m certainly not equipped for such a trip gear wise, but might make up for it in enthusiasm. I really can’t imagine having more fun than that in GA. I’m on the FL line, but will likely come up sometime this summer. I’ll shoot you a pm if at all possible. I’m jealous of all you mountain guys!