North Georgia WMAs for hog

What calibers are legal during small game season for hog? It says .17 but is there a cap? Can I use .308?? Also, what WMAs in North Georgia have a good population of hogs. What WMAs should I look at... open to ALL of North Georgia

across the river

If fox and bobcat season is in, you can use .17 caliber and larger, so the .308 would be fine. If the season for fox and bobcat is not in for that particular WMA, you would have to use .22 cal or smaller, air rifle, or a muzzleloader. You could not take the .308 if say only squirrel season was in. I copied the regulations below, so follow the appropriate color to see what I said above in writing. Never just take the word of some redneck off of the internet.
You can also get a permit from the COE to hunt certain tracks on Clarks Hill outside of the small game dates on WMA's. The link to that information is below as well.

Small Game & Furbearer
  • Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.

https://www.sas.usace.army.mil/Port...unting_Reg_2018.pdf?ver=2019-05-09-080412-420

If fox and bobcat season is in, you can use .17 caliber and larger, so the .308 would be fine. If the season for fox and bobcat is not in for that particular WMA, you would have to use .22 cal or smaller, air rifle, or a muzzleloader. You could not take the .308 if say only squirrel season was in. I copied the regulations below, so follow the appropriate color to see what I said above in writing. Never just take the word of some redneck off of the internet.
You can also get a permit from the COE to hunt certain tracks on Clarks Hill outside of the small game dates on WMA's. The link to that information is below as well.

Small Game & Furbearer
  • Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.

https://www.sas.usace.army.mil/Port...unting_Reg_2018.pdf?ver=2019-05-09-080412-420
Would I be able to use archery tackle for hogs in small game season?

across the river

Would I be able to use archery tackle for hogs in small game season?

Yes, any game would include all small game. You know you can look this stuff up for yourself, right?

Archery Equipment
Crossbows, longbows, recurve bows, and compound bows are allowed for hunting any game or feral hog. Arrows for hunting deer, bear or feral hog must be broadhead type. Draw weight, let-off, arrow-length, and sights are not restricted.

Yes, any game would include all small game. You know you can look this stuff up for yourself, right?

Archery Equipment
Crossbows, longbows, recurve bows, and compound bows are allowed for hunting any game or feral hog. Arrows for hunting deer, bear or feral hog must be broadhead type. Draw weight, let-off, arrow-length, and sights are not restricted.

Archery Equipment
What’s the point of this forum if not to ask questions on topics or issues you may not know.

across the river

What’s the point of this forum if not to ask questions on topics or issues you may not know.

I have no problem with you asking, and I have no problem answering if I know the answer and can help. With that being said, I would never personally rely on someone that I don't know on GON to provide me with answers or advice on a "legal" matter like seasons, legal weapons, possession limits, etc......, when I can just as easily look them up my self and find the actual answer from the actual regulations. I can assure you that over the years there have been plenty of incorrect answers provided on here in response to those types of questions, and I don't think the rabbit sheriff will accept "well that's what the guy on the GON forum said," as a defense to breaking the law.

Hillbilly stalker

Bo there's plenty of people on here that will help you without preaching to you. You best read the regs yourself and have your own copy. It ain't just the " rednecks" you gotta discard......plenty of " Cul-de-sac Cowboys " with $600 game cameras that don't know the difference between a coyote and a kangaroo that will get you in a bind too. :rofl:. Ask away, this place is full of fine folks with a lot of knowledge to share.

cohutta joe

I'm hog hunting the Cohutta WMA, and had the same question. I went to the regional (Conasauga District) forestry service headquarters, and they had a hard time accepting that I could use any centerfire rifle I chose, during small game / fox bobcat season, but, scratching their heads while looking at the GA Regs, said it was a DNR question, and gave me the number, saying they would go with whatever the DNR said. The DNR said YES, you can hunt during small game season WHERE FOX AND BOBCAT is open, with any centerfire rifle, and confirmed that Cohutta was legal. Unless the WMA specifies "NO FURBEARER," it is legal. I'm also using a 308.

deerpoacher1970

If I was worried about somebody slinging lead I would have an orange vest on,no where in the regs does it say you can't wear a orange vest.

strothershwacker

If I was worried about somebody slinging lead I would have an orange vest on,no where in the regs does it say you can't wear a orange vest.
True. But a lot of small game hunters, hikers and other outdoor folks wait till after deer season to do their thing and are clueless to the fact that folks are still out there with big rifles. Hogs come in different colors, And hog hungry lead slingers need to know there targets. Thats all I was gettin at.

cohutta joe

Right, you can wear orange if you want. I choose to not, because I want to be inconspicuos; wildlife notices movement, and orange is obvious. I'm a sensible man, and not a lead slinger; if I take a shot, I know what and where I'm shooting, and it's going down, else I won't take the shot. If there's anyone else around, in small game season , on wma (as in on the ground), I'm going to know they are there, as well. While I said that, at 60 years old, I hadn't hunted in 30 years, I started hunting, alone, at 8 years old, and have over 20 years experience. I wear orange when required, and no time else. I don't "sling lead,", and am not going to hunt with anyone who might.

Hillbilly stalker

Plenty of squirrel dogs running around out there also, they come in different colors too. It pays too be vigilant. We never know who pulls up to hunt after we been in there for 10 minutes . You will see me unless it's bow season, and probally still them. :mad:

chrislibby88

Right, you can wear orange if you want. I choose to not, because I want to be inconspicuos; wildlife notices movement, and orange is obvious. I'm a sensible man, and not a lead slinger; if I take a shot, I know what and where I'm shooting, and it's going down, else I won't take the shot. If there's anyone else around, in small game season , on wma (as in on the ground), I'm going to know they are there, as well. While I said that, at 60 years old, I hadn't hunted in 30 years, I started hunting, alone, at 8 years old, and have over 20 years experience. I wear orange when required, and no time else. I don't "sling lead,", and am not going to hunt with anyone who might.
It isn’t the sensible guy you gotta worry about, the orange is for the dingleberry that shoots at any bush that moves. You don’t run into as many in the mountains, they tend to be on the lazy side, but there’s a ton of fools roaming the flatland WMAS. Pretty sure pigs don’t see orange anyway.

CroMagnum

True. But a lot of small game hunters, hikers and other outdoor folks wait till after deer season to do their thing and are clueless to the fact that folks are still out there with big rifles. Hogs come in different colors, And hog hungry lead slingers need to know there targets. Thats all I was gettin at.
That's a real good reminder for us all. Thank you!

Latest posts