Northeast Georgia WMA Hogs

Back40hunter

My son in law and I have hunted hogs since the beginning of deer gun season on the Chattahochee national forest, and WMA as well as Swallow Creek WMA and Warwomen WMA. You can only hunt hogs during the day on public land. We found hog signs everywhere! But we have yet to see one during the day, just doesn't happen. And yes we have sat on food plots....nothing! Zip! They are nocturnal and good luck seeing one in the day. In the past two years I've seen them during the day twice ( wasn't hunting). I spoke with a DNR Sgt. up here recently and he said that night hunting hogs isn't allowed because it's a safety issue.
Have you guys ever tried doing small little drives. Let one get in a gap and the other walk a ridge or drainage. Sometimes you can push those nocturnal hogs in the daytime enough to move them from one thicket to another.

oldguy

Have you guys ever tried doing small little drives. Let one get in a gap and the other walk a ridge or drainage. Sometimes you can push those nocturnal hogs in the daytime enough to move them from one thicket to another.
"SAFETY ISSUE" = 'NOTHER WORD FOR EXCUSE.
LET FOLKS KILL THE DADBLAME HOGS!
WMA = HOG REFUGE.
Just change the name: Warwoman HR, Swallow Creek HR, etc.

NGA44

"SAFETY ISSUE" = 'NOTHER WORD FOR EXCUSE.
LET FOLKS KILL THE DADBLAME HOGS!
WMA = HOG REFUGE.
Just change the name: Warwoman HR, Swallow Creek HR, etc.
This seems a bit extreme
I’ve killed just as many if not more hogs on private and NF land as WMAs.

You can hunt them nearly year round on WMAs yet you’re saying “Let folks kill hogs.” :huh:
I’m not sure I really understand what you’re saying.

tucker80

I think he's saying...
They "dedicate" 1.5 mil to help with the hog problem. Yet they continue to have regulations on OUR land that make them hard to effectively hunt. If they really wanted to do something, there would be provisions made. Special permits, dedicated season to allow night hunting and bait. Even a possible quota hunt over a dnr bait station. I've never seen a trap on a wma, seems like a reasonable option. The list could go on and on. But all the hogs have to do is go nocturnal,which they do, and they're relatively safe. Continuing to breed and destroy land. Guess they're not as big of a problem as dnr wants to make out?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I think he's saying...
They "dedicate" 1.5 mil to help with the hog problem. Yet they continue to have regulations on OUR land that make them hard to effectively hunt. If they really wanted to do something, there would be provisions made. Special permits, dedicated season to allow night hunting and bait. Even a possible quota hunt over a dnr bait station. I've never seen a trap on a wma, seems like a reasonable option. The list could go on and on. But all the hogs have to do is go nocturnal,which they do, and they're relatively safe. Continuing to breed and destroy land. Guess they're not as big of a problem as dnr wants to make out?

I’ve seen traps. The big ones, they bait em and then wait until they have a bunch coming at once before they ‘set’ the trap. It is effective. Talked to the manager of a local (to me) WMA about it. Told him I wanted to volunteer to help ifn they needed it ? This was last summer, prolly late June.

NGA44

It is illegal to transport them , also depends on what your goals are , if wanting them gone shoot mama , coyotes will probably get what’s left of the little ones , me I like hunting them and eating them and I just wait a couple months and the little ones will be perfect eating size and mama will have another litter on the way and I have plenty of fresh pork, most people hate em but I like em

Quote from a different thread in this subforum.

This is exactly why these ideas won’t work. Nobody will kill as many as they should cause then the fun is over. I bet DNR already realizes this, which is why they won’t entertain any of those ideas y’all suggesting.

The Eddie

No we haven't tried any "drives" . Most of the mountain areas we are hunting up here are vast and or thick! Plus I'm not as young as I use to be so humping up and down these steep *** mountains kicks my ***!

akachin1

My son in law and I have hunted hogs since the beginning of deer gun season on the Chattahochee national forest, and WMA as well as Swallow Creek WMA and Warwomen WMA. You can only hunt hogs during the day on public land. We found hog signs everywhere! But we have yet to see one during the day, just doesn't happen. And yes we have sat on food plots....nothing! Zip! They are nocturnal and good luck seeing one in the day. In the past two years I've seen them during the day twice ( wasn't hunting). I spoke with a DNR Sgt. up here recently and he said that night hunting hogs isn't allowed because it's a safety issue.
I have hog hunted a total of three times on Warwoman WMA. I saw hogs during the day twice. I was able to creep up and shoot one on the last hunt. I think the trick is to go several miles from the road. They feel safe out there.

The Eddie

Thanks. Congrats on the Warwomen hog. Just a tip for the guy asking what gun to use. Yes it is small game season till the end of the month and for small game you have to basically use a .22. But... it's also fox and bobcat season at the same time which means you can use any centerfield caliber of .17 or LARGER! Look on the hunting regulations booklet on page 33 under small game(fox & bobcat) . so you can you a 338 Lapua of you want to. I confirmed this with a DNR Sgt. a few weeks ago.

The Eddie

I have hog hunted a total of three times on Warwoman WMA. I saw hogs during the day twice. I was able to creep up and shoot one on the last hunt. I think the trick is to go several miles from the road. They feel safe out there.
We've walked faaarrr from the roads on several WMAs up here and we see tons of signs but never a pig

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Frady Branch May have hogs, but it also may have horseback riders. But that could help move some hogs for you. I haven’t hunted Russell hard in a couple of years for hogs but this time of year I don’t think you will have much competition. Just wear your orange and you should be fine.
^^^this....I’ve seen a bunch of hog run out into a food plot and sure enough a few minutes behind them were a couple of horseback riders.