Oak Tree Help

lildorris00

So not really a food plot question but here goes. We purchased our piece of dirt from a timber company. There are a few of our larger oak trees on the edge of prior timber harvest sights that have been chopped down years ago. The stump is large (guessing 4ft or more diameter) so I would guess a 50-75 year old tree. Some of these larger oaks resprouted and have 3-4 18-24 inch trees now growing out of it. So 1 stump with 3-4 large sprouts (sprouts are now probably 25 yrs old)

My question is will these 3-4 sprouts produce acorns as if it had never been cut? The thought process here is that the root system would still be a 75 yr old tree? Or, sHould I cut 1 or 2 of the weaker sprouts and let the two better ones continue to grow?

Any thoughts/

Gut_Pile

Interested in seeing the answers here from folks who know.

My thought would be to cut the weaker sprouts to reduce competition, but that is nothing more than a guess of what the correct answer might be

lildorris00

Interested in seeing the answers here from folks who know.

My thought would be to cut the weaker sprouts to reduce competition, but that is nothing more than a guess of what the correct answer might be
That was kinda my thought as well but they all seem to be doing well and not necessarily a weakest sprout. Like I said, the sprouts are now 20+ years old and 18-24 inches in diameter each.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That was kinda my thought as well but they all seem to be doing well and not necessarily a weakest sprout. Like I said, the sprouts are now 20+ years old and 18-24 inches in diameter each.
Yeah, they will eventually bear acorns again. If they're already 18-24", I wouldn't try to thin them. Small ones, yeah.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I think that’s considered a wolf tree. Better to thin them to one trunk when they’re young to have a better one trunk tree.
On the other hand like other’s have already said, I’d leave them if acorn production is your only goal. They should be producing now or real close to it at 25 years old.