Ocmulgee WMA Hogs In October

Houseme1971

So if I am reading the WMA seasons correctly it looks like there is a period of time in late October that there is no open deer season on Ocmulgee WMA. It looks like it closes on Oct 24th and opens back up on Dec 10th.
During this time I want to get in there and chase some hogs around. Legal weapons should be small game weapons I believe. 22 mag or black powder for me. Does anyone have any feedback about this topic? Maybe an area where the hogs go during this time of year or places to avoid.
thanks for the feedback!
Mike

1600006754829.png

ICHAVEZ1

But starting December 1st trough Feb 28th you can use big caliber weapon. Thats when fox bobcat season starts.

Small Game & Furbearer
  • Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.

Ohoopee Tusker

You have to hunt it while something is in season on the WMA. Between the deer hunts there are specific small game dates that you can hunt hogs. Screenshot_2020-09-13-21-41-52.png

Houseme1971

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I have lots of deer opportunities on other properties. My son is coming down to GA in late October and I am looking for some public land hog hunting.
Thanks again.
Mike

chrislibby88

You can hunt hogs on a deer hunt AND you can use centerfire rifles. After the rifle hunts are over it flips back to small game/rim fire/shotgun. It’s probably best to go in the middle of the day on rifle hunts so you aren’t walking under dudes deer stands sounding like a critter, plus pigs (and deer) move almost all day during the rifle hunts with all the hunters bumping them around.

Rich Kaminski

If you want hogs on the Ocnulgee WMA hunt the southeastern most section. That is the best place for hogs. You can thank me after your hunt.

BBond

So if I am reading the WMA seasons correctly it looks like there is a period of time in late October that there is no open deer season on Ocmulgee WMA. It looks like it closes on Oct 24th and opens back up on Dec 10th.
During this time I want to get in there and chase some hogs around. Legal weapons should be small game weapons I believe. 22 mag or black powder for me. Does anyone have any feedback about this topic? Maybe an area where the hogs go during this time of year or places to avoid.
thanks for the feedback!
Mike

View attachment 1038447

The bolded/underlined sentence above is not right as you missed a deer hunt between those dates. You actually show that hunt on your attachment.
Deer closes after Oct 24th but then there is another hunt Nov 19-21 that's the big check-in deer hunt that most people go to. Then Deer closes again until Dec. 10th.

Ocmulgee has no quota deer hunts so you can also hunt those deer hunts using deer firearms. There are a lot of hunters that come on deer hunts to hunt hogs and then shoot a deer if they don't find a hog.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Certainly a good chance at seeing a hog there! Bear too! Shame you can’t kill the bears