Odd noise

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have heard similar noises but there is a ready source for that sort of noise in my area aside from Walnuts. We have lots of granite mines in the area. Blasting underground produces this sort of a sound and sometimes a light but noticeable shock wave.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I have heard similar noises but there is a ready source for that sort of noise in my area aside from Walnuts. We have lots of granite mines in the area. Blasting underground produces this sort of a sound and sometimes a light but noticeable shock wave.

I don’t have any idea what I was hearing. But it happened a bunch of times that trip.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In a half-century of stomping around in the woods day and night, I don't recall hearing anything like that, except maybe limbs or trees falling, or rocks falling from cliffs.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
In a half-century of stomping around in the woods day and night, I don't recall hearing anything like that, except maybe limbs or trees falling, or rocks falling from cliffs.
Well I’m not a hundred like you are but I’ve spent more time in the woods than the average person and still do and I have only heard it that one time.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Y’all could be hearing deee bounce off and not able to see them. They sound like a basketball hitting at a second intervals.
I be with other hunters and they heard it and asked what it is.
I say a deer. It’s warning all the rest. We can’t see it. Can feel the vibes in the ground if your really tuned in also.

They slam there front feet down.
Anyway maybe it or not.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Y’all could be hearing deee bounce off and not able to see them. They sound like a basketball hitting at a second intervals.
I be with other hunters and they heard it and asked what it is.
I say a deer. It’s warning all the rest. We can’t see it. Can feel the vibes in the ground if your really tuned in also.

They slam there front feet down.
Anyway maybe it or not.

I’m not going to say you’re wrong but I dont think so. I’ve watched deer do what you’re describing and it didn’t sound like this. Also, I was in the mountains way up in Rabun County when I heard it almost in South Carolina. I know there are deer there but not tons of them. Not like down here for sure.

It sounded like somebody dropping a bag of flour, or a sandbag, or a cinder block out of a tree. It was a heavy thump. And it happened a bunch of times as we walked about three or four miles up the trail getting away from everybody else to fish.

I’m not suggesting it was ManBearPig or ghosts or Bigfoot or aliens or anything. It was just odd and I had never heard anything like it before and haven’t since. I personally love stuff like this. Life is more fun with some mystery.

Mike 65

I’ve heard it or something similar and just assumed it was a limb or something hitting the ground. Them woods is full of strange noises.:hair:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ya'll wouldn't know bigfeet noises if they bit ya. facepalm:

Twiggbuster

I say deer, specifically bucks. They will scramble quickly to their feet and may just stand there , then slip out the back door. Bigger deer are heavier and more “ hollow”.
Thus the thud sounds. Heard it from bear and hogs, but hogs usually head on out and you can figure them out.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I say deer, specifically bucks. They will scramble quickly to their feet and may just stand there , then slip out the back door. Bigger deer are heavier and more “ hollow”.
Thus the thud sounds. Heard it from bear and hogs, but hogs usually head on out and you can figure them out.
Again, I didn’t see what did make the noise so I can’t say what it was or wasn’t. But I have watched no telling how many deer stomp and it did not sound like what I heard that day.

Twiggbuster

Not sure what you heard but Sometimes they don’t stomp, think horse getting up.
Just throwing thoughts out there.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Not sure what you heard but Sometimes they don’t stomp, think horse getting up.
Just throwing thoughts out there.
Yep. Seen that too. Man this happened seven or eight times at least over the course of about a three or four mile hike. It wasn’t in one spot or even two. It was in different t spots seemingly parallel with us spread out over a few miles. Doesn’t seem like deer to me plus it did t sound like deer.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Enough said. I didn’t realize this was a big feet thread. My bad.
Yes I’ve heard big load thumps. 42455DD0-13BC-4F00-A3EB-D960CC764D22.jpeg