Odd noise

Amarillo1

When walking through the woods, stalking, hunting, and otherwise moving stealthily, slowly, and quietly.....I hear dull thumps every now and then. Like someone about 50 feet away dropping a stone onto wet clay.

Any ideas as to what it is?

WCK85

Hey man, I've heard that too. I always described it as sounding like someone dropped a big bag of flour from 50 feet. I have no idea what it is though.

Maybe tree trunks knocking against each other with the wind blowing a little....where you have one leaning or partially fallen tree right next to another one.

That or bigfoot stalking you :biggrin2:

dpoole

hickory nuts falling ,deer stomping.

Sargent

Wendigo loading the bodies of all his victims into his death truck.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Walnuts drop with the covering on them. They are about the size of tennis balls and make the sort of sound you are describing.

WCK85

Walnuts drop with the covering on them. They are about the size of tennis balls and make the sort of sound you are describing.

I've heard it in an open field before at night.

fi8shmasty

I have heard that noise also,... I don't know what it is. I thought it was acorns or nuts. But I have heard it in a stand of small Pines.

Amarillo1

In response to a lot of the replies..

Yes, it sound like a sack of flour being dropped from about 50 feet away. Dull thump.

To the guy that wanted to know what time of day: afternoon, before dark. Dry, wet, cloudy or sunshine. Cold or warm.

I'v egot a lot of hickory, but only one black walnut that I know of. Fair amount of buckeyes. I don't think it's falling nuts. I hear it in the spring and August.

And to the guy that said Wendigo...my hunting buddy who was with me and heard it too, said it was deer jumping up from bed, or Wendigo messing with us. I asked what Wendigo was. He told me. I was less than thrilled at that prospect. Made me glad I had the Glock!

I always though it was deer stomping their foot as a warning that I was walking around; but, I never hear anything else, like them running, snorting, blowing, or other deer stuff.

Thanks for the input.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"It" is watching. Waiting. You'll know what "it" is soon.

bigkga69

I still think its armadillos jumping on the bed!! my theory at least!!