Odd noise

Redbow

Squirrels jumping out of trees when startled make a noise similar to that !

FX Jenkins

I think many times deer will hold fast if they think they are hidden...they may stomp once, but if you don't make eye contact with them, and you continue in any direction that is away from them, they won't move, particularly if they haven't winded you..I've heard the sound your describing as well and this is the only thing I can figure....

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Turkeys make a call that sounds like a thump on a tree kind of what you describe. I have seen the birds making the noise.

THREEJAYS

I think many times deer will hold fast if they think they are hidden...they may stomp once, but if you don't make eye contact with them, and you continue in any direction that is away from them, they won't move, particularly if they haven't winded you..I've heard the sound your describing as well and this is the only thing I can figure....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:that's what I figured

Seth carter

Banned
its hooked on qauck stalkin you thru the woods

bassman bo

I've seen squirrels fall from 40-50 feet, they spread out their legs and land on their stomachs. It makes a huge thud when they hit the ground.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I've seen squirrels fall from 40-50 feet, they spread out their legs and land on their stomachs. It makes a huge thud when they hit the ground.

they call that the tree rat kamikaze belly flop! :D

stickslinger76

Maybe you should try the advise from the other post and try hitting a rock against a tree and see if you get a response. Then you will know for sure. :)

turky93

I think I figured out what is.
I've heard it many times myself, usually when deer hunting.
A few days ago I was sitting in the stand, when all of a sudden I heard that dull thump, and was simultaneously jostled in the stand.
There were no falling squirrels, no turkeys, grouse, deer, wendigos, or bigfeet under my stand.
My guess is that a root popped under the ground.

grizzlyblake

I bought a rabbit for my girlfriend while I was in college. It lived in one of those havahart cages in the garage and at night it would thump it's feet in the cage. I didn't know what it was for about 2 months and thought my house was haunted or I was being robbed!

Occasionally we would let it in the house and it would do that thump/stomp thing. That might be what you're hearing.

Seth carter

Banned
i hurd it the other day souds like someone droped a bag of flower

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten
I have a canoe outside laying upside down next to a big white oak. There are many times I hear that dull thump, sounding like it is under the canoe, each time I will turn it over and nothing is there. Figured it must be Wendigo's bedding area since you can't see him anyway.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
While I’m digging up and reviving old threads I ran across this one and figured I would get it going again.

I’ve heard this. Two years ago while trout fishing on the Chatooga River. On the Ellicott Rock trail north of Burrell’s Ford to be exact. Heard it several times. There had been a good bit of rain that week and I initially chalked it up to the water being swift enough move rocks and push them together on the bottom but I never really was satisfied with that explanation. Anyway, I thought it was weird and when I saw this old thread where other people said they had heard the same thing I thought I would get it going again and see if anybody else has heard it. Like another guy said it sounded like a bag of flour being dropped out of a tree and hitting the ground.